Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Snow Capped + REPOST
Photo posted by Dave Dillemuth in the Landscape gallery on 03/08/17 at 10:59 am EST
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments
Post last edited by Dave Dillemuth on 03/08/17 at 6:20 pm EST

Harley and I spent an evening shooting this location near Bishop CA last week. It was great to see this volume of snow on the White Mountains for a change. While the winter foliage in this location is gorgeous the lighting was only so-so. I stayed on a couple of extra days and was able to make this image when the clouds cooperated.

5DSR, 70-200 f/4 IS L @ 70mm

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 03/08/17 at 11:18 am EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

The layering here is wonderful, the foliage has a way of lending itself to these types of images.  The cloud colors and FG foliage tie it all together.  I can image some raking sun across the FG/MG was what you were waiting for, looks like the clouds were late in departing. Another beauty from this area.  Looks like it will be a late backpacking season in the Sierra.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 03/08/17 at 11:43 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Those clouds sure do add a lot! Beautiful. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 03/08/17 at 1:11 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Nice image, Dave. The clouds do look nice. I think bringing out more definition in the lighter clouds would be nice.

I just wanted to comment on the overall composition which is just my opinion that I've come up with over the years. I don't really like images composed of horizontal layers across a vertical image. The narrower the frame the worse it looks. It just seems to fragment the image to my way of thinking. I try to look for leading lines between the layers or construct images with vertical of angular leading lines. That's just my opinion I'm offering for you to consider. I see many compositions of such nature so I know most don't feel this way or haven't thought about it. It seems the fewer layers that exist the more chopped up it looks.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 03/08/17 at 1:35 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

This is gorgeous from top to bottom, Dave. The layers with the foliage along with the mountains is superb; all topped off with that drama laden sky. Fantastic work! You definitely have some beautiful images from the Owens Valley.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 03/08/17 at 1:58 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Dave,

I think this is a beautiful image, although for me, doesn't match up with most of your others.  I think you nailed it for me: "While the winter foliage in this location is gorgeous the lighting was only so-so"  The lack of direct light often allows the colors to stand out, but here the lack of any special light I think renders this scene a little flat. 

I do like square crop options; square from the top and square crop from the bottom. A little boost in exposure and those could be quite nice.  But of course that may not be your vision.  Just a thought. That vegetation in that part of the world is indeed gorgeous.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Prashant Khapane on 03/08/17 at 5:29 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 492 Posts, 4580 Comments

I agree with Lon. Little exposure and contrast boost will do wonders.

Dr.-Ing. Prashant Khapane
www.travel-hopefully.com

All Photos and Comments by Prashant Khapane

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 03/08/17 at 6:19 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Thanks for the comments. Having some issues with my monitor calibration. Just re-calibrated and agree that the contrast looks like crap. Here's a revised version increasing the contrast/clarity and a slight bump in exposure.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 03/08/17 at 7:08 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

The re-post is the ticket, Dave. I like the composition, and the layers of vegetation in the foreground are nicely realized. The light and color are excellent.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 03/08/17 at 8:04 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

The original looks great on my contrasty Imac monitior, Dave; the repost even better. I like the all the layers and the light is excellent. 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rudy Ruberti on 03/08/17 at 11:31 pm EST    
Registered on 10/28/08, 179 Posts, 1875 Comments

The additional contrast in the repost works well here and a nice scene overall.  Also like the last bit of light on the Whites, which gives it some extra depth.

Rudy Ruberti
Simi Valley, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Rudy Ruberti Gallery of Rudy Ruberti

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 03/09/17 at 12:56 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

The repost looks way better, Dave.  Glad you survived a shoot with Harley. Takes a certain amount of patience.sad  Love  your layered presentations and this is no exception.  For some reason, I keep doing a rolling crop to below the snow line.  Maybe an alternative there.  I do love the light on the mountain and the sky is great.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership