Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Tortured Land
Photo posted by Dave Dillemuth in the Landscape gallery on 02/24/17 at 8:36 pm EST
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments
Post last edited by Dave Dillemuth on 02/24/17 at 8:50 pm EST

Still digging through my archives but hope to get back into the field next week. Anyway, here's an image from the Alabama Hills outside Lone Pine shot last April. Needs to be viewed large - for some reason, the lumosity is too low in the smaller version. Be interested to get your thoughts.

5D2, 70-200 f/4 IS L @ 200mm 

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Alberto Patiño on 02/24/17 at 11:51 pm EST    
Registered on 12/02/14, 278 Posts, 1736 Comments

The light is trulty beautiful. The tall peaks look a bit overprocessed, but it may just be the web rendering.

Alberto Patiño Douce
Athens, GA, USA

Four Billion Years Website

Four Billion Years Blog

We have faith that future generations will know that here, in the middle of the twentieth century, there came a time when men of good will found a way to unite and fight to destroy the forces of ignorance and intolerance.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt, February 12, 1943 

Sic transit gloria mundi

All Photos and Comments by Alberto Patiño

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 02/25/17 at 12:07 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Beautiful work, Dave. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 02/25/17 at 10:06 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

The lighting is awesome, Dave, and the ruggedness amazing.  The band of cloud adds well to the sense of rugged isolation.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 02/25/17 at 11:47 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Great light and wonderful textures, Dave. The large version is definitely better. I like how the hills dominate the image. This really shows well the geology of the area. Nicely done!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 02/25/17 at 1:13 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Dave,

Fabulous image of the Alabama Hills and the Sierra crest.  I really like that you've tempered the color/sat; one could easily warmed up the hills even more with the warm morning light.  But the colors contrast beautifully as presented (large version) and I'd say you've processed this just right.

I really like the diagonal lines and ridge lines throughout; the line of clouds a bonus to top things off.

No nits or suggestions.  Wonderful as is.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 02/25/17 at 1:28 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Dave, This looks really good to me. Wonderful warm light adds a special touch to this. Nice textures and the clouds work so nice here. It really is quite a view!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 02/25/17 at 3:37 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Really well composed image in fine light, Dave. Fine job of isloating this scene @200mm. I like the criss-crossing forms of the hills and mountains going from near to far. The clouds at the top add another layer of interest. Finally, I like the amazing amount of detail in the piles of rocks.

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 02/25/17 at 3:51 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

The light in this scene enhances this rugged landscape and it also brings out the color contrast between the foreground rocks and the higher peaks in the background.  The storm clouds enhance the mood.  Very nice!

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ryan Shain on 02/25/17 at 7:37 pm EST    
Registered on 02/20/07, 226 Posts, 4571 Comments

Hi Dave,

There is some wonderful depth created from the alternating light/shadow patterns. The warm light is what really breathes the energy into this scene, and you have some awesome clouds up top. This all creates a wonderful image.

Ryan Shain
Joliet, IL

The universal Mind contains all knowledge. It is the ultimate potential of all things. To it, all things are possible.

Ernest Holmes

All Photos and Comments by Ryan Shain

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 02/26/17 at 01:58 am EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

I like the layers of light and shadow Dave.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Navin Sarma on 02/26/17 at 09:37 am EST    
Registered on 07/17/11, 233 Posts, 1373 Comments

Great drama in this composition, well balanced with the mountains and great job timing with the light and shadow and line form in the clouds. All works maginificently, love this and missing Alabama hills !

Navin Sarma
Washington, D.C.

website

All Photos and Comments by Navin Sarma

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 02/26/17 at 11:01 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Another beautiful image, Dave.  I'm pretty sure you could keep digging for more gems.  Wonderful layers on this rugged landscape. The only suggestion I have would be to burn the bottom left a bit, but real minor.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 02/27/17 at 07:37 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

I like this a lot, Dave. The contrast between the clouds, the snow, and the rocks is amazing. I would consider a little crop of the foreground to create more impact. 

Mattia

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 03/06/17 at 12:18 am EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

That's just great light Dave, it really brings out the textures of the rocks nicely. I'm really enjoying the layers.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership