Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Stately Oak
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 02/18/17 at 3:03 pm EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Thank you for your thoughts and insights on my last post.  Truly appreciate it when folks take the time.

This is the same Black Oak tree that's in Harley's image "Winter Bare" he posted a couple weeks ago.  different season, different time, angle, view and conditions, same tree, different image.

This might be an image that most folks wouldn't shoot. Not because of the subject, but more because of the conditions. This was mid-day, bluebird sky, hot light.  Most people (including me) are looking for better light, later/earlier in the day, stormy, dappled light, etc. etc.  Me too.  However, I also believe images can be made any time of day under any condition.  I'm one that can shoot non-stop... my photo buddies can attest!

Not unlike Tunnel View, I always seem to stop here at this long, often crowded pullout and viewpoint. Terrific view of Yosemite Falls.  I know Preston appreciated this spot because the sun was out and he could warm up a bit. ;-)  I don't recall anyone getting out their cameras, but I was attracted to the back/side lighting on this grand oak.  Interesting, I wouldn't have pulled out the large format with film, but now I've come to learn there are wider options with the digital.  Even though the light was harsh I still thought there was potential.  I also chose to tightly compose this to avoid sky, hot granite cliffs, etc.

I left the bg a little on the blue side since that's how I remember the scene.

Would love your feedback. Does this work?  There are a couple of small rogue branches that I might clone out, but I don't think this one will go anywhere other than the web.  Thanks for looking!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 02/18/17 at 3:49 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I have also been known to wander around in the middle of the day,  Lon.  A guy can only nap so long indecision.  I think this works pretty well.  The black, gold, and blue combo of colors is classic.  The tracery of the oak creates a complicated pattern that keeps my eye moving around the frame.  The only suggestion I have is to clone the one bright  just shy of middle and slightly right of center.  It seems to really draw the eye there as it is between a very dark forked branch. I like this.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 02/18/17 at 5:35 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

You have a great eye for composing these kind of scenes.  I struggle to find order in the complexity when I have attempted to shoot these scenes in the past.  The composition here works well as the tree branches give structure to the scene.  Without reading your description I never would have guessed that this was taken in mid-day light.

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 02/18/17 at 10:08 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

The backlit leaves provide a real nice rainbow of color.  It looks rather different than that tree in my image. Amazing what the passage of time will do (and don't we all know it!). Nice image and nice of you to give Mr. Birdwell a chance to warm up in the sun. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 02/19/17 at 03:19 am EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

It sure works for me.  I do think it needs to be printed large in order to fully appreciate it, though.  Even the large image is not big enough for me to see the kind of detail that I know is in those branches.  I really like the blueish BG; it contrasts nicely with the colors in the leaves.  I also like the nice balance to the comp.

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 02/19/17 at 10:17 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Very impressive take on this tree, Lon. I like the way the tree's dark form comes through the foliage and anchors the image. Colors looks good, including the sublte blue in the bg to contrast with the gold leaves.

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Sandor on 02/19/17 at 11:20 am EST    
Registered on 01/12/14, 453 Posts, 1625 Comments

Lon: what an aptly chosen caption, as there is a stateliness to the tree. Your processing has made the photo look like a finely detailed pastel and has beautifully softened the textures and the light. Richard

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Sandor Gallery of Richard Sandor

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 02/19/17 at 8:21 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

A very fine image for being taken in harsh lighting conditions. The tight composition works well and the back lit leaves are beautiful. Only suggestion would be to either crop out or burn down the bight leaves in the upper left corner.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 02/19/17 at 11:06 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

It's a fine look at the shape of this tree and it's golden leaves, Lon.  The blueness of the background accentuates the golden leaves well.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 02/20/17 at 11:15 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Comment last edited by Igor Doncov on 02/20/17 at 11:18 am EST

Wonderful work, Lon. It seems as though there is nothing more to say on this subject. Yet the lower right quadrant is new and beautiful and different. The greens and leafless branches there are a hit with me. I might crop just a tad off the top so that the frame cuts into the branches rather than having them reach the frame.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 02/20/17 at 6:01 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

The large version is a must-see in order to fully appreciate the color and detail. My only nit is the bright patch of rock just right of center near the middle--it could be burned down some. You are certainly the 'oak master'! This works very nicely, Lon.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ryan Shain on 02/20/17 at 9:09 pm EST    
Registered on 02/20/07, 226 Posts, 4571 Comments

Hi Lon,

This is just a gorgeous portrait capture of this beautiful Oak tree. I love trees and I love how you show off the structure and character of this Oak. The dark trunks create the structure needed to make this scene work, and the yellow foliage is just beautiful and of course a great compliment. 

Mother nature sure does know how to create beautiful elements in this world, and you saw and captured it wonderfully.

Ryan Shain
Joliet, IL

The universal Mind contains all knowledge. It is the ultimate potential of all things. To it, all things are possible.

Ernest Holmes

All Photos and Comments by Ryan Shain

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 02/21/17 at 12:28 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Love the somber effect the dark gold leaves and black branches give this image.  Excellent composition that fills the frame nicely.  No nits at all, Lon.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 02/21/17 at 6:06 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Lon, this has your classic signature look. I can always immediately see your images on any given page here at NPN.....enlightened
For the conditions you mention this is excellent. I can't see anything wrong with it at all. You obviously knew what would work, or more importantly what would absolutely not work.
I'd say knowing those borders or parameters regarding this image to make a decent outcome has paid off nicely. Looks darn good to me......cool

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Alberto Patiño on 02/22/17 at 12:32 am EST    
Registered on 12/02/14, 278 Posts, 1736 Comments

I like the composition and the very paint-like feeling, a bit impressionistic. Works just as it is for me.

Alberto Patiño Douce
Athens, GA, USA

Four Billion Years Website

Four Billion Years Blog

We have faith that future generations will know that here, in the middle of the twentieth century, there came a time when men of good will found a way to unite and fight to destroy the forces of ignorance and intolerance.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt, February 12, 1943 

Sic transit gloria mundi

All Photos and Comments by Alberto Patiño

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 02/24/17 at 4:00 pm EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

I'm enjoying the spreading arrangement of branches and the warm coloured leaves. I was surprised to read that this was shot in midday harsh lighting.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership