Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Rustoleum
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 02/12/17 at 4:21 pm EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

If you've been around for more than 4 years, you may recall my 4x5 rendition. Not exactly the same, but the same area of the rock wall.  The portion of this wall is more gray, which is rendering more blue in the RAW file; however, I've significantly pulled back on that with a goal of more of a "steel" blue or blue/gray.  I like the offset of colors with the rust.

Another 2-image focus stack. The reason is that shooting at a slight upward angle, getting it sharp bottom to top I thought would work with a focus stack.

Very curious your thoughts and reactions to this one.  Still have few more stragglers from that November trip, but the herd is thinning out. ;-)

As always I welcome your comments and honest critiques. Thanks!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Fach on 02/12/17 at 4:50 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1805 Posts, 26981 Comments

Lon: After seeing your images from this wall I'm not sure I ever want to see it in person because I might never go anywhere else. Wonderful comp and a color junkie's delight. Most excellent.>=))>

Bill Fach
Soli Deo Gloria
www.sdgimages.com
Houston, Texas
Flora Gallery Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Fach Gallery of Bill Fach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 02/12/17 at 5:51 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

This rocks! I remember the 4x5, which was excellent, and I really like this, too. The blue steel and the rust red are a wonderful compliment to the textures and detail. No nits, here. Well done, sir!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 02/12/17 at 6:02 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

The repeating diagonal lines work well to guide my eye in the frame.  The color contrast is very interesting and the textures keep my eyes roaming the frame. 

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 02/12/17 at 6:08 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

A most enjoyable rock abstract. I really like the warm and cool tones and great patterns and lines. I like this one a lot,

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rick Turner on 02/12/17 at 6:27 pm EST    
Registered on 02/18/12, 534 Posts, 2755 Comments

Nice painting Lon.  Beautiful.

Rick Turner
Dallas

"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships"..
Ansel Adams

Keep on Shooting!
God Bless Texas!!!!!!

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Rick Turner Gallery of Rick Turner

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 02/12/17 at 6:46 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Lon, This is very impressive and I'm enjoying it so much. The colors and textures in this are fantastic. Great composition and it makes me think of a waterfall in stone. Excellent!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Alberto Patiño on 02/12/17 at 7:36 pm EST    
Registered on 12/02/14, 278 Posts, 1736 Comments

I like it, especially how the blue appears to "cascade down" - though this must be seen in the large version. Only very minor issue is that the ochre-stained patch near the top-right looks a bit too paint-like, somewhat "fake" if you know what I mean. Perhaps too sharp, or perhaps it is a result of the stacking?

Alberto Patiño Douce
Athens, GA, USA

Four Billion Years Website

Four Billion Years Blog

We have faith that future generations will know that here, in the middle of the twentieth century, there came a time when men of good will found a way to unite and fight to destroy the forces of ignorance and intolerance.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt, February 12, 1943 

Sic transit gloria mundi

All Photos and Comments by Alberto Patiño

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 02/12/17 at 10:20 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

I was gonna say "this rocks", pun intended, but Preston stole my thunder. This is mesmerizing. I could stare at it for hours. Well maybe not hours, but for quite awhile.devildevil

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Gary Minish on 02/12/17 at 11:50 pm EST    
Registered on 02/04/06, 625 Posts, 3583 Comments

Love this abstract slab of rock, Lon!  It's good that you made the extra effort to make it sharp, top to bottom.  The large version with all the detail is most impressive.  I also love your title! devil

Gary Minish
Valdez, Alaska, USA

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Gary Minish Gallery of Gary Minish

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by SandyRichardsBrown on 02/13/17 at 04:51 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/03, 3937 Posts, 12909 Comments

Marvelous colours and perfect comp. Love the detail and vertical lines here.
Sweet!
Sandy

Sandy Richards-Brown, NPN #0367
Brookings, Oregon (summer/fall) and Sedona, Arizona (winter/spring)   
PNW and RMNP  Regional Member 
NATURE'S MAJESTY IMAGING
http://naturesmajestyimaging.zenfolio.com/

"All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
Each little flower that opens, Each little bird that sings, He made their glowing colors, He made their tiny wings."

- Ce­cil F. Al­ex­an­der, Hymns for Lit­tle Child­ren, 1848, Ireland

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by SandyRichardsBrown Gallery of SandyRichardsBrown

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Balan Vinod on 02/13/17 at 05:11 am EST    
Registered on 03/20/06, 889 Posts, 2312 Comments

Beautifully Crafted ...love this
Balan Vinod

Balan Vinod
http://balanvinod.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Balan Vinod Gallery of Balan Vinod

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 02/13/17 at 07:22 am EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

Simple.  Well done sir. 

aF

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 02/13/17 at 08:37 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

I like a lot this abstract rock, Lon. The texture is hypnotic and colors are beautiful. Well done!

Mattia

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 02/13/17 at 09:20 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Lon, geological stuff is always of interest to me when in the field. I really like this and as others have stated no need for change here at all. Very nice indeed.
Edit: Title is perfect too....sad

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 02/13/17 at 11:32 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

This is excellent Lon. I'm sure you'll get a very positive response for this image. I think of this as more of a intimate capture of a rock wall than an abstract. This shade of blue is good for these rust colors. I think the colors are right on. I might try raising the exposure just a tad to see how that compares. Unfortunately that may require readjusting the colors. There is that one slightly bright spot center left? I find the upper half more intriguing. There's a fine horizontal of the upper half with repeating ridges that is also excellent. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ryan Shain on 02/13/17 at 8:19 pm EST    
Registered on 02/20/07, 226 Posts, 4571 Comments

Dude Lon this is so awesome!!!!

I love everything about this image from the texture and lines in the rock wall, the cool stell blues and how they play with the rusty browns/oranges. I am very much drawn to these kind of colors in my life, especially in my clothing choices, lol, so yeah this image has it all for me, and it has such a soothing effect onmyself.

Just so freaking awesome Lon!!!!!

Ryan Shain
Joliet, IL

The universal Mind contains all knowledge. It is the ultimate potential of all things. To it, all things are possible.

Ernest Holmes

All Photos and Comments by Ryan Shain

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 02/13/17 at 10:04 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Nature has a way of putting together an incredible tapestry of form, texture, and color.  It doesn't matter if it takes millions of years, or in the case of ice, overnight.  The key is seeing it, and in this case, your vision is extraordinary.  Love the colors, and how the rust just drips over the varying shades of blue.  Nothing I could suggest for improvement, I'm just gonna enjoy it.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 02/14/17 at 12:17 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Thank you all for your comments, observations and kind words.

@Alberto.  Honestly, I had to google "ochre." ;-)  but now understand your comment more.  Interstingly, I used TK's saturation painting to reduce saturation on that specific part of the image.  It's was quite orange/red.  Also, interesting because I was conscious of the sharpening here, considering I used both the Nik output sharpener AND TK's sharpen for web, so perhaps that rendered that part a little over the top.

@Igor, good call on the slight boost in exposure.  Bill Fach I think mentioned in the past most of my images come across darker, so there is probably room for an adjustment there.  I also agree there are many, more intimate crops of this, including a horizontal. Lot's of potential for alternatives.  As presented, this was actually cropped maybe 20% from the original.

sounds like the color is good.  I was concerned about that, but I think I'm happy with the steely blues and rusts.

thanks again folks!

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 02/14/17 at 10:42 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

I really like the way the rust colored streaks lend to this vertical presentation.  The warm and cool tones are great together.  I see thin kind of art hanging in offices everywhere - it should be yours!!!  Soothing, thought provoking, creates more questions than answers.  Cool stuff. 

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 02/15/17 at 1:20 pm EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Lon, this is one of my top favorites from your portfolio. There is an exciting color balance and the diversity of shapes playing together makes it outstanding for me.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 02/16/17 at 12:27 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Beautiful abstract Lon.  I really enjoy the great variety of colors and shades of color.  I know you pulled a lot of blue out of this, but IMHO it wouldn't hurt to pull a little more out.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership