Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

High Desert Weave
Photo posted by Dave Dillemuth in the Landscape gallery on 01/26/17 at 9:15 pm EST
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments
Post last edited by Donna Erhardt on 02/04/17 at 09:47 am EST

This is a bit different from what I normally shoot. I was attracted to the isolated colors and textures of this winter ground cover in the Owens Valley. Comments, critiques appreciated.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 01/26/17 at 10:37 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

I like this, Dave.  The different layers and textures have my eyes exploring the whole frame.  The subtle color palette has an inviting richness as well.  Nicely done!

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ryan Shain on 01/26/17 at 10:42 pm EST    
Registered on 02/20/07, 226 Posts, 4571 Comments

Hi Dave,

I love the colors and details in this image. The Owens valley has such wonderful colors and tones. This area's foliage works so well together in the dance of photography. The colors of magenta, purple ,red , brown, yellow,, blue, grey, and green are all represented in this fine image. It is a fine study in color, tone, and form.

If I had a suggestion, it would to crop from the bottom up. I think right above the first green bush on the left really works for me.

Love this as is too Dave

Ryan Shain
Joliet, IL

The universal Mind contains all knowledge. It is the ultimate potential of all things. To it, all things are possible.

Ernest Holmes

All Photos and Comments by Ryan Shain

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 01/26/17 at 11:22 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Gorgeous stuff here, Dave. The large version showcases all those wonderful details in the layers of assorted colors in the brush. The way you filled the frame lets me wander and savor the scene before me. I could also see this working with just a bit of a crop from the top; just down far enough to get rid of those red soil areas on the top edge of the frame. Just a thought because this is a beauty as is.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by SandyRichardsBrown on 01/27/17 at 02:48 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/03, 3937 Posts, 12909 Comments

Marvelous colours, details, layers, and detail in the large version. The largest red, bare area near the top right draaws my eye a bit, so you might consider cropping a little lower, or cloning over it. 
Really sweet image!  devil

Sandy

Sandy Richards-Brown, NPN #0367
Brookings, Oregon (summer/fall) and Sedona, Arizona (winter/spring)   
PNW and RMNP  Regional Member 
NATURE'S MAJESTY IMAGING
http://naturesmajestyimaging.zenfolio.com/

"All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
Each little flower that opens, Each little bird that sings, He made their glowing colors, He made their tiny wings."

- Ce­cil F. Al­ex­an­der, Hymns for Lit­tle Child­ren, 1848, Ireland

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by SandyRichardsBrown Gallery of SandyRichardsBrown

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 01/27/17 at 08:02 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Real nice layers of colors and textures. I might back off the green saturation a bit, but then my tastes usually run to a little less saturation. You continue to post excellent work from the east side. Keep them coming, very enjoyable.

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 01/27/17 at 08:03 am EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Beautiful mix of textures and colors.  This would make a great puzzle!  What is not to like in this, fine job isolating the complex scene.  The cropping decision is always the most difficult with a scene like this, especially what we know is behind (from your other posts).  I like your crop here.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 01/27/17 at 08:24 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Beautiful, Dave. Terriific combination of color, pattern, and textures. No nits from me. devil

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Fach on 01/27/17 at 11:32 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1805 Posts, 26981 Comments

Dave: The larger version MUST be viewed to really appreciate this shot. With the original smaller version I thought the FG was soft but the larger version dispels that notion. Love the color palette and overall comp. Well seen and superbly captured. >=))>

Bill Fach
Soli Deo Gloria
www.sdgimages.com
Houston, Texas
Flora Gallery Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Fach Gallery of Bill Fach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 01/27/17 at 1:02 pm EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

This is great, Dave.Different colors compared to your previous image but the same good composition to enhance all those gorgeous layers. 

Mattia

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/27/17 at 1:37 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Excellent image, IMO. This has an impressionistic painterly look. A Monet. The beautiful layers overlap each other with a vague dream-like quality. The Orton(?) effect works beautifully here. The yellow grasses break up the image nicely and add interest. The sage in the llc anchors it well. Just a well composed image. I wouldn't change a thing.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/29/17 at 1:28 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Dave,

What a pleasing combination of colors, all arranged in nice layers.  I would agree with the comment about cropping slightly from the bottom; this would help giving equal weight to the layers.

Beautiful.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 01/29/17 at 2:56 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Dave, This is lovely and the larger version is very cool to look at. The colors and textures are wonderful across the whole scene. The only thing I might do would be the small crop mentioned of the top to just below the darker brown spots. Really nice work!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 01/29/17 at 10:31 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Sorry I missed this Dave.  Most excellent.  There have been some good suggestions thus far, so I'll add mine.  I would add a vignette, subtle of course, and feathered from the center.  This doesn't need a thing, but play with that.  Really, really good.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by SandyRichardsBrown on 02/05/17 at 12:36 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/03, 3937 Posts, 12909 Comments

Congrats on a fine WP! 
Sandy

Sandy Richards-Brown, NPN #0367
Brookings, Oregon (summer/fall) and Sedona, Arizona (winter/spring)   
PNW and RMNP  Regional Member 
NATURE'S MAJESTY IMAGING
http://naturesmajestyimaging.zenfolio.com/

"All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
Each little flower that opens, Each little bird that sings, He made their glowing colors, He made their tiny wings."

- Ce­cil F. Al­ex­an­der, Hymns for Lit­tle Child­ren, 1848, Ireland

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by SandyRichardsBrown Gallery of SandyRichardsBrown

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 02/05/17 at 01:33 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Congrats on a fine win. I thought there were a couple of other good ones but this was the most creative.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 02/05/17 at 9:30 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Congrats on WP, Dave.  Excellent image and very well deserved.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership