Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Winter Mosaic + repost
Photo posted by Dave Dillemuth in the Landscape gallery on 01/20/17 at 1:57 pm EST
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments
Post last edited by Dave Dillemuth on 01/20/17 at 5:48 pm EST

Grasses and sages in the Owens Valley isolated from a hill top vantage point. 

5D2, 70-200 f/4 IS L @ 180mm
ISO 100, f/16, .4sec

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/20/17 at 2:55 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

One thought I wanted to share, which you may or may not agree with. 

The reduction in clarity seems to work better with the brush and sage brush below the tree and not so well for te individual tree. I think that's because the most attractive part of a tree is it's distinct form of network of branches and in this case the main point of focus has been diminished by blurring them. Generally speaking I think this image would be stronger as a layered composition without the central tree. There are some nice colors in those layers and I think they work well with one another. PS I also don't think that having the tree sharp and the rest blurred unnaturally would work either.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 01/20/17 at 4:06 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I think you have been nailing these images from the Owens Valley.  I love the layers of colors and textures.  Beautiful for my tastes as is.  One slight nit would be the tree at the very top right of the frame. For some reason the dark Y of the trunk pulls my eye. I think I would clone that Y to blend in a bit more.   Other than that very small and easy fix.....Outstanding.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ken Smith on 01/20/17 at 5:32 pm EST    
Registered on 09/05/08, 449 Posts, 2444 Comments

The color bands and layers of more detail in the foreground (as it should be) to softer in b/g works.  I will second Igor's comments.  IMO the central trees detract  by capturing the focus away from the colorful elements in front and back.   Nonetheless this is a feast for the eyes.  Well done.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ken Smith Gallery of Ken Smith

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 01/20/17 at 5:48 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Igor, Gary, Ken,
Thanks for the constructive input. I've removed the slight Orton effect and cloned out the "Y" in this rework.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 01/20/17 at 5:56 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Another beauty from the Owens Valley. The only minor correction I could think of is to crop / clone / burn down the tiny piece of green /bright bush on the top left as it breaks up the uniform top boarder. Nice abstract feel to it.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Sandor on 01/20/17 at 7:37 pm EST    
Registered on 01/12/14, 453 Posts, 1625 Comments

Dave: I actually like both cool. The bands and layers of color and texture are a visual treat. Richard

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Sandor Gallery of Richard Sandor

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 01/20/17 at 8:50 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Gorgeous image, Dave. Reminds me of Guy Tal's work. Just love the foreground, but the the centered trees work for me as well as a focal point. devil

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 01/20/17 at 10:54 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

I definitely prefer the repost with ought the Orton.  Beautiful layers of color with lots of rich detail.  This is very nicely done, Dave!

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 01/21/17 at 06:08 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

I prefer the version without the Orton effect, Dave. Amazing layering and color. The composition works very well in this intimate landscape. I like this a lot and it reminds of Guy Tal's work as well. Well done.

Mattia

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/21/17 at 3:29 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Dave,

This is just simply gorgeous.  The layers of color and detail wonderful.  I didn't pick up on any Orton effect, but I do like the repost a shade better.  Images like this are so good that there is little to be critical of, the ony option being real nit-picky...;-)  The little changes you made I might not have noticed.  There is one other minor one if you're ever going to print.  There is a dark, shade patch near the right edge about 1/3 up from the bottom.  Again, no biggie, but it's a little of an eye magnet for me.  It also looks on the red side. I think some content aware creative cloning could help there.  Other than that, I'll stick with my original comment. This is gorgeous.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 01/21/17 at 5:34 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

I'm really liking all the the colorful layers in this piece, Dave.  I like inclusion of the tree to give the scene context and scale, although it might work better to frame it out of center a bit.

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jeffrey Sipress on 01/21/17 at 9:24 pm EST    
Registered on 02/17/04, 236 Posts, 1197 Comments

Dave, I like how you can see an image of value contained within a mess of confusion.  Very nice.

Jeffrey Sipress, Santa Barbara, CA    

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jeffrey Sipress Gallery of Jeffrey Sipress

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ken Smith on 01/22/17 at 12:07 am EST    
Registered on 09/05/08, 449 Posts, 2444 Comments

" +++ " 

Repost is a winner!

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ken Smith Gallery of Ken Smith

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 01/22/17 at 01:54 am EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

What a joy to look at.  I hope you are printing some of these!
I like both versions.  If you ever get back there in different light it sure would be nice to see what you could get.  You have a done a great job with these.  They are a treat to look at!

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 01/24/17 at 06:29 am EST    
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments

Not sure what happened to my comment but I came back to have another look and that is such a very wonderful display of alternating bands of colour.  Very well done

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 01/24/17 at 07:44 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Repost nails it, Dave. Beautiful layers and colors.  It has been a real pleasure to see your east side series!!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership