Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Winter Flows
Photo posted by Dave Dillemuth in the Landscape gallery on 12/23/16 at 3:56 pm EST
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

I have just gotten around to process this image from the Eastern Sierra last February. When packing I had no plans on stream wading but upon scouting this location the afternoon before, I determined the best vantage point would be in the water. I decided to improvise and purchased some trash bags and duct tape. Needless to say, this waterproofing system was a bust. 

5D2, 16-35 f/4 @ 20mm, polarizer and .6 GND

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 12/23/16 at 4:10 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

The grazing light on the peaks is wonderful, Dave.  You're mid-stream set up works well also (even if you did get cold, wet feet) as the gentle arc of the stream and the details in the water look great, especially in the larger view.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 12/23/16 at 6:16 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful light and image. I would have paid top dollar to see your water gear in action!!sad

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 12/23/16 at 9:13 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

Sweet results, and I assume your feet thawed out fairly quickly. Really wonderful light and colors. I can't tell if it's morning or sunset, which doesn't really matter but I'm curious. The little bit of reflection of the mountain and the ripples in the water make this special.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 12/23/16 at 11:53 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

This was definitely worth the effort, Dave.  I like the contrasting warm and cool tones.  The stream is a great leading line while the snow in the grass adds interest in the foreground.

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 12/24/16 at 11:56 am EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments
Comment last edited by Dan Kearl on 12/24/16 at 11:57 am EST

The sky and mountains look great, nice light and rich color. I would bring up the FG a bit as it appears bit dark and muddy compared to the background.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Pete Bengeyfield on 12/24/16 at 5:21 pm EST    
Registered on 12/02/03, 1247 Posts, 3439 Comments

Yeah, I tried that once too.  About two steps in I realized that I was going to need more planning.  And I didn't get a picture nearly as good as this.  Well seen and well excuted.

Pete Bengeyfield
apbengey@gmail.com
http://bengeyphotos.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Pete Bengeyfield Gallery of Pete Bengeyfield

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 12/24/16 at 6:59 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

Dave, this is magnificent.  Composition, wonderful light and dynamic of the lead-in stream towards the mountains are to die for.  Print it big devil

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/25/16 at 12:08 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Gorgeous Dave!  If you hadn't made that valiant effort of wading in to the stream, I would have suggested cropping for a pano for the awesome display of the Sierra range bathed in the golden morning light.  But getting in to the middle of that little stream really pulled the entire foreground landscape in to prominence and this totally balances the entire frame.

The only suggestion I have is to possibly burn, or deal with the fogginess along the lower right edge.  I'm wondering if there's a little steam rising from the water, but the contrast has dropped off there - just not sure why. Not sure if anyone else picks up on that, or if it's just me.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 12/26/16 at 11:16 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Dave, I like this image a lot! Great composition by being out in the little stream and I think that really makes this work. Even though you weren't quite ready for it you managed to make a wonderful image. I like the colors in this and the light across the mountain range is beautiful. Nice work!!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Schoen on 12/26/16 at 2:59 pm EST    
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments

Really nicely done.  I love the way the stream just leads you into that beautiful sunrise.  On my monitor this looks just absolutely gorgeous.  And I'm sitting in a very cold room right now which helps me appreciate the image.

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 12/27/16 at 03:16 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

Great work, Dave. The foreground is incredibly detailed. My eye follows the river until the special light on the peaks.

Mattia

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Reno DiTullio on 12/27/16 at 12:17 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 130 Posts, 1644 Comments

Gorgeous morning light.  Love this area of the east side, looks like it might be along the Owens River near Benton Crossing, spend a lot of time there fishing and photography.

Reno - Salinas, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Reno DiTullio Gallery of Reno DiTullio

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 12/27/16 at 9:00 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Gorgeous, Dave. Very nice light and colors, and I like the processing. 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 12/30/16 at 01:38 am EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

This is pretty.  I like the low sun, and flow of the water.  Lovely overall comp, and the light is super.  Nice.

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jeffrey Sipress on 12/31/16 at 11:37 am EST    
Registered on 02/17/04, 236 Posts, 1197 Comments

Beautiful imaging, Dave.  The trash bags were clearly an act of desperation, but you got the picture.  By now your legs surely have their feeling back and you have the print!

Jeffrey Sipress, Santa Barbara, CA    

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jeffrey Sipress Gallery of Jeffrey Sipress

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership