Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

The Emerald Coast +alt
Photo posted by Igor Doncov in the Landscape gallery on 12/18/16 at 03:04 am EST
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Post last edited by Igor Doncov on 01/02/17 at 5:09 pm EST

This image is from the Redwood State Park shot this summer. I processed this image until I got the colors that I liked. I'm posting it here to see what you think of this interpretation of these trees.

Canon 6D, 24-105mm@75mm, F/13.0, 1.5 sec, ISO 100, tripod

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 12/18/16 at 09:27 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

This is flat out beautiful. In my mind the composition is flawless and I love the color tones in this. Beautiful soft light and such a wonderful soft misty mood. This would make an awesome print. I sure would love to photograph in the redwoods someday just to try and get something even close to this. One of those pictures I could look at and enjoy for a long period. 

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 12/18/16 at 09:28 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

I am a big fan of foggy redwood images, and this one is excellent with this nice fog and vertical lines, Igor. Getting the color "right" is tricky and interpretative, but the color looks good to me. 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 12/18/16 at 11:09 am EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

The details really stand out in the large version. Excellent fog scene, always tougher to pull off than they look.
I do wish that the small trunk in the foreground on the left was not there....

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/18/16 at 1:26 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Wonderful Igor.  I love the nearly "dense" atmosphere here.  So often we see these with beams of light striking through or with shades of color and light enhancing these redwood creatures.  But you've captured a much heavier and darker mood.  I'm not sure if that's the intent, I know you mentioned color, but with that, I think you've created something quite different from the redwoods/

As I look at the larger view, I do see more hints of life and this actually begins to transform itself.  The processing here works perfectly. A beautiful image.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by SandyRichardsBrown on 12/18/16 at 1:59 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/03, 3937 Posts, 12909 Comments

Mesmerizing image - love the mist and subtle detail.
Not too fond of the frame - to me, needs a subtle, co-ordinated frame for net presentation.
If you're interested, $12 buys the downloaded Fred Miranda frame actions that I usually use :  look up FM Frame Actions

Really lovely -

Sandy

Sandy Richards-Brown, NPN #0367
Brookings, Oregon (summer/fall) and Sedona, Arizona (winter/spring)   
PNW and RMNP  Regional Member 
NATURE'S MAJESTY IMAGING
http://naturesmajestyimaging.zenfolio.com/

"All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
Each little flower that opens, Each little bird that sings, He made their glowing colors, He made their tiny wings."

- Ce­cil F. Al­ex­an­der, Hymns for Lit­tle Child­ren, 1848, Ireland

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by SandyRichardsBrown Gallery of SandyRichardsBrown

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/18/16 at 2:52 pm EST    

I started to use frames at NPN when the software was upgraded to show large images as popups because I felt a need for space between the popup and the background. A small frame doesn't provide that separation IMO. I agree that optimally the color could change with the frame. I guess I'm a bit too lazy to go through a frame selection for each image. I do agree that taking the time for a print would be worthwhile, although I would likely still choose white. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 12/18/16 at 3:06 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

This is superb, Igor. The soft lighting conditions and mist give this a wonderful mood. The comp. is excellent and your processing looks spot-on to me. Overall exceptionally well-crafted. Only suggestion would be to clone out the protruding bare branch in the upper left, but that is very minor.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ken Smith on 12/18/16 at 3:55 pm EST    
Registered on 09/05/08, 449 Posts, 2444 Comments

The mood is from the middle ages and long ago.  Usually the processing of fog has stronger colors and contrasts in the foreground then the soft fog increases  with the length of view as it extends to the trees behind.  You seem to have achieved a more subtle depth with foreground trees already enveloped in mist and far trunks quietly lost and fading.  Excellent!  

What a great job creating a dusk n dark theme.  I agree with the clone-out of the ulc branch.  I like the snag in the foreground against the darker tree bark that makes it pop.  Were that snag aligned in front of the fog it would not be as distinct.  But, I either dislike that the snag is not vertical...or that the tree behind it is not larger in diameter.   Wish that the back tree were a bit larger to loom ever more over the the tilting snag.   Indeed, 'ts a minor compromise because in so so many respects this has it "all" in which the snag is a needed major contributor.  

Just print it big...hang it and see if it has 'staying power' to your liking a year from now.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ken Smith Gallery of Ken Smith

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 12/18/16 at 5:00 pm EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

This a very moody image. I can feel the dampness and calmness of the area. Fine image.

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 12/18/16 at 8:11 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Absolutely stunning image, Igor.  The graceful lines of those trees set amongst the fog is simply exquisite.  I love the more gnarly tree trunk on the left hand side that provides something of a counter to the more regular lines of the other trees.  Color is wonderful.  The larger image is a must see.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stephen Stanton on 12/18/16 at 9:26 pm EST    
Registered on 03/01/15, 54 Posts, 453 Comments

This is a sweet image, you've got some good details in the columns of trunks...through the mist  everything is sharp and crisp with good  depth. Maybe just a bit too much of a green hue?    

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stephen Stanton Gallery of Stephen Stanton

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 12/18/16 at 10:38 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

This works nicely.  Some of the trees are a bit bunched up, but the comp still works well.   The fog accentuates the mood, and the color is beautiful as well.

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/19/16 at 12:25 am EST    

A couple of the comments have been troubling in that the image seems to convey something different than intended (dense atmosphere, middle ages). I'm thinking that this may be due to underexposure so I've made an alternative that has a lighter sense to it. Let me know what you think.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 12/19/16 at 05:56 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

Great atmosphere here, Igor. I would prefer the second version. Awesome light and composition.

Mattia

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 12/19/16 at 10:24 am EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Exciting!!  This is the kind of image that literally excites the viewer.  Beautiful color and detail, and the slight diagonal of the leaning tree adds a great deal to the image.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 12/19/16 at 10:27 am EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Oops, I didn't see the report when I wrote my earlier note.  Both look great IMHO, but if I had to make a choice I would stay with the original.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Phil Pogledich on 12/19/16 at 12:47 pm EST    
Registered on 08/24/09, 123 Posts, 3099 Comments
Comment last edited by Phil Pogledich on 12/19/16 at 12:47 pm EST

I like the original a bit more as the level of light feels true to a foggy forest scene.  I think forests are generally evocative of many of the sentiments described by others in response to your post and that your processing, which seems spot on to me, should be of no concern.

Phil Pogledich
Davis, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Phil Pogledich Gallery of Phil Pogledich

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Navin Sarma on 12/19/16 at 2:38 pm EST    
Registered on 07/17/11, 233 Posts, 1373 Comments

I like the repost for the brighter highlights that give this image more depth. I can see a little more shift away from green but understand your perspective to keep this looking like its from the "middle ages". Nice mood to this one Igor

Navin Sarma
Washington, D.C.

website

All Photos and Comments by Navin Sarma

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 12/19/16 at 7:17 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Igor, Much, much prefer the original. The repost looses to much of the wonderful feel of the original post for me. Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ryan Shain on 12/19/16 at 9:39 pm EST    
Registered on 02/20/07, 226 Posts, 4571 Comments

Hi Igor,

This is a stunner of an image, and it has such an ancient feel about it. I love the greens in this image, and sometimes words are hard to describe how you feel, I am having that situation arise when I see this image. Maybe I am just overcome with pure joy of how beautiful this image is. I would stick with the original as I feel it truly represent this spiritual capture.

Also, I might clone out that lone branch in the Uplhc.

Ryan Shain
Joliet, IL

The universal Mind contains all knowledge. It is the ultimate potential of all things. To it, all things are possible.

Ernest Holmes

All Photos and Comments by Ryan Shain

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Kuyper on 12/19/16 at 10:30 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 364 Posts, 22328 Comments

Very nice scene.  The soft light goes really nicely with these strong elements.

Tony Kuyper
Luminosity Masks and other tutorials

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Kuyper Gallery of Tony Kuyper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/20/16 at 6:53 pm EST    

Thank you for all the comments on this image. The consensus seems to be that the original was better than the rework. I appreciate that feedback because I wasn't sure about that. 

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 12/21/16 at 08:47 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Igor, I really like this scene. I've found these to be typically a difficult place to obtain a meaningful look to them. Meaning, the deep or dense forest views are not an easy place to have things come out right. Not the case here.......this is truly a wonderful take.
I prefer the first image and especially the larger view there......laugh 

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Sairam Sundaresan on 12/22/16 at 11:28 am EST    
Registered on 03/14/13, 100 Posts, 643 Comments

This is just blow my socks off amazing, Igor! I love this. It conveys the mood of standing in the forest and taking in the sight of these giants. No nits for me personally.

Sairam Sundaresan
Light Chaser and Day Dreamer

All Photos and Comments by Sairam Sundaresan

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership