Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Winters Glow +1 Repost
Photo posted by Dave Dillemuth in the Landscape gallery on 12/14/16 at 9:07 pm EST
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments
Post last edited by Dave Dillemuth on 12/15/16 at 3:15 pm EST

I finally got around to processing this file from earlier this year. This image was taken in the Eastern Sierra near Bishop. Comments, suggestions and critiques appreciated.

5D2, 70-200 f/4 IS L @ 200mm

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 12/14/16 at 9:26 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

To be honest, I would have to say the contrast for me is a bit much. That being said, the FG is absolutely gorgeous.....and the BG is very nice also...

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 12/15/16 at 01:27 am EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

Yeah, that FG is gorgeous.  There is so much detail, and the lighting is great.  I like the way the colors in the FG and BG work together, sort of a version of the classic yellow and blue.  And I can believe it would look like this, since you're looking at the shaded side of the mountains, although I can  understand people thinking it might be contrasty.  It is probably just me, but it looks like the very top of the mountains is darker than lower down.
I like it though; it feels real.

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 12/15/16 at 07:04 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Beautiful image, Dave. I like this a lot. I like the strong contrast between the orange colors in the foreground and the blue mountains and sky. I think the processing is right on the edge with regard to the colors, but in a good way. I also like the comp with the trees framed against the mountains and the way you were able to maintain so much detail in the mountains. 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 12/15/16 at 08:58 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

The warm on cool looks great, Dave.  Looks realistic to me. 

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 12/15/16 at 11:11 am EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

The contrasting colors of the warm toned FG against the cool ones of the mountains make for a gorgeous image, Dave. Everything looks very realistic to me. My only suggestion; and this is just a personal preference; would be to clone the bright area in the LLC as it draws my eye away from all the rest of the beautiful elements in the scene.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/15/16 at 11:19 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Dave,

This is a wonderful combination of the warm and cool colors and tones.  The late light is warm and beautiful.  I think the contrast is right on and appropriate.

To get real picky, my eye is drawn to the LLC corner with some of the golden grasses creeping in on the frame.  No biggie really, but if you ever print, you might consider dealing with it; especially the bright vertical piece on the bottom left edge.

Beautiful imagery!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 12/15/16 at 11:26 am EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Dave, I love the light and the color combination. I agree about the tops of the mountains looking darker, and I would crop or clone the bright stuff in the LLC.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 12/15/16 at 11:26 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Real nice, Dave. This looks the way the Sierra would be in the late afternoon. I think the contrast is fine, and I love warm/cool color palette. I agree with Lon about that bit in the lower left corner.

Is the main peak Mount Williamson? That thing sure is big!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marylynne Diggs on 12/15/16 at 12:22 pm EST    
Registered on 12/14/10, 122 Posts, 1034 Comments
Comment last edited by Marylynne Diggs on 12/15/16 at 12:25 pm EST

I really like this, Dave.  As others have noted, the cool bg, warm fg works great.  The grasses bottom left are a distraction to me too (there might even been part of a road, guardrail there?)  I can imagine that very bright center patch before the trees being burned down just a tish as well.  Really lovely regardless.
ML

ML Diggs
Portland OR

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marylynne Diggs Gallery of Marylynne Diggs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 12/15/16 at 2:51 pm EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

Very nice image, Dave. Love the contrast between shadow and light. Maybe I think that you can slightly reduce the blue dominant on the mountains especially on the snow. 

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Morkel Erasmus on 12/15/16 at 2:56 pm EST    
Registered on 03/22/11, 385 Posts, 2068 Comments

the layers and colour contrasts here are outstanding

Morkel Erasmus
African Nature Photography and Photographic Safaris

WEBSITE

All Photos and Comments by Morkel Erasmus

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 12/15/16 at 3:15 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Here's a revised version incorporating much of the input. I've also added a touch of Orton to the foliage.

Preston,
This is near Bishop so while I'm not sure what mountain this is, it is not Williamson.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/15/16 at 5:51 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Awesome Dave! Great job on the repost and thanks for taking the time.

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 12/15/16 at 6:02 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

The repost looks great, Dave.

Duh, I missed the 'near Bishop' part, so yeah, that cannot be Williamson. Whatever it is, it sure is big!
-P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 12/15/16 at 7:19 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Dave, This is wonderful! As mentioned the warm cool contrast is a really nice effect here, and I love the way it looks. The blue of the background mountains looks so cool with the beautiful golden color and light on the foreground grass and trees. The repost is even better and works nice with the Orton effect and would probably work fine without it too. Really nice work on this! I like it alot!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/15/16 at 8:25 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

The repost looks really interesting. I like the orton effect in the bushes; the seem to flow into one another. I think its wise to keep the trees sharp, however. My first reaction to this image was to wish it was a bit more yellowish as opposed to orange. Don't know how that would actuallly look.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 12/16/16 at 5:06 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful. Love the warm and cool tones. The repost is the ticket. I just tore up my nit list. :)

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 12/16/16 at 8:05 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Love the interaction of gold and blue, and how the darker blue background makes those  glorious golden trees and grasses glow with an inner light.  Your repost is amazing.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Zablotny on 12/17/16 at 2:14 pm EST    
Registered on 01/17/04, 705 Posts, 3594 Comments

Hi Dave--Color palate is wonderful.  Repost is ideal and this will be a fine print for the walldevil........................Jim

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Zablotny Gallery of Jim Zablotny

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership