Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Windswept +1 RP
Photo posted by Dave Dillemuth in the Landscape gallery on 12/03/16 at 8:43 pm EST
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments
Post last edited by Dave Dillemuth on 12/05/16 at 7:59 pm EST

Captured last month in the Upper Mustang region of Nepal. This remote region of the Nepalese Himalayas is infamous for the strong winds that regularly buffet the landscape each afternoon.

5DSR, 24-105 f/4 IS L @ 24mm, .75 GND. Three image blend for focus and exposure.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 12/04/16 at 08:19 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Beautiful image of a gorgeous landscape, Dave. Excellent combination of elements with really nice light. The multicolored bushes in the foreground lead right to the mountains, and the clouds balance things nicely.  

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 12/04/16 at 08:48 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Dave, very nicely done with the contrasting light here. It does have a foreboding look to this remote spot. As much as the peaks in the back are the pinnacle of the scene, the main attraction for me are these huge scrub brush scattered along this drainage area. The colorful bushes really are a neat addition to this sparse terrain.

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 12/04/16 at 12:03 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Dave, Nice work on this! I like this comp with the bushes right up front with the nice color, textures and detail. Great looking sky and light on the background mountains. A great looking image!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/04/16 at 1:22 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Dave,

Indeed a great looking landscape.  the play of light and clouds in the mountains and sky is wonderful.  I too like the brush - whatever that is, scattered on the landscape.

For me, this does not give me the impression of wind at all.  Granted, you were there and it's a place noted for the winds as you mention, but without you telling us, I wouldn't have known.  Now that's no big deal, but I'm viewing looking for something to tell me it's wind swept.  Of course, that's a problem with titles, and not the imagery.

Having said that, I might be inclined to crop some of the bottom bush. For me at least, it's about the repeating pattern and colors of these plants, rather than the details. If that makes sense.

I can imagine the solitude there.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 12/04/16 at 1:57 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

I really like color and detail in this, Dave. Like Lon, I do not get the impression of a windy day, but is in no means intended to detract. I really like the bushes and the perspective, but I do agree with Lon's crop suggestion. The light here is wonderful.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Sairam Sundaresan on 12/04/16 at 2:28 pm EST    
Registered on 03/14/13, 100 Posts, 643 Comments

I really love this, Dave! I like the repeating foliage in the foreground and the light hitting the peaks behind is really sublime :)

Sairam Sundaresan
Light Chaser and Day Dreamer

All Photos and Comments by Sairam Sundaresan

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marylynne Diggs on 12/04/16 at 4:24 pm EST    
Registered on 12/14/10, 122 Posts, 1034 Comments

Hi Dave,
What a wonderful scene.  I'm definitely pulled into and through the image.  I would be inclined to crop a bit off  the bottom (so the bottom bush just touches the edges of the frame and comes closer to the next bush in its "thickness" reaching into the distance).  In my opinion (and this is taste), it dominates too much as is. I'm wondering too what a tish of a crop off the top would do.  I am pulled to the one spot of blue at 11 oclock.  It's a welcome blue, but sometimes I like the clouds to create a vignette. You could do that here, but that's really a matter of taste as well.

Of course, take this all with a grain of salt. It's a lovely image and very engaging.

ML Diggs
Portland OR

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marylynne Diggs Gallery of Marylynne Diggs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 12/04/16 at 8:23 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

I love the way you filled the frame from front to back, Dave. The light on the peaks is gorgeous as are he clouds in the sky and the colorful brush is very unique looking. My only suggestion; and this is just a personal preference; would be to crop about 1/2 of that FG brush as I think it is a little dominant. Either way great work.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/05/16 at 12:15 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Wow, the large version is really beautiful. My first thought was that the fg just takes up too much space for what it contributes, but the large version really shows off that fine texture. The lighting is marvelous here and the shadows have just the right amount of exposure. Very nicely done.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 12/05/16 at 5:54 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful colors and scene, but the image looks a little bottom heavy to my eye. My path through the scene gets bogged down there a bit. I would consider cropping off the bottom? Lovely light and mountains. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 12/05/16 at 7:58 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

As always, thanks for all the insightful suggestions. 

After playing with the file, I cropped a bit off the bottom and it does seem to create a better balance and flow. In this version I also added a touch of Orton to the foreground. 

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 12/08/16 at 12:52 am EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

Beautiful shrubs (Bring me a shrubbery!) leading to that grand background. Nice light on those cliffs. I think I prefer the original here. The cropped version feels "tight" to me.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 12/08/16 at 7:28 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Dave, Back to look at the repost and it is very nice, but I like the original best. Cheers, Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marylynne Diggs on 12/09/16 at 3:55 pm EST    
Registered on 12/14/10, 122 Posts, 1034 Comments

Put me down for the original too.  Not sure whether it's the orton effect or the cropped shrub, but it does seem to have less drama.
ML

ML Diggs
Portland OR

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marylynne Diggs Gallery of Marylynne Diggs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership