Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Standing Alone
Photo posted by Dave Dillemuth in the Landscape gallery on 11/25/16 at 12:17 pm EST
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

I just returned from 25 days in Nepal. While I was there, I did a 17 day trek. While this was more a trekking trip then photography trip, I packed my tripod and did get a chance to do some shooting on several occasions. This cliffside was captured in Upper Mustang region at around 12,000 ft.   
5DSR, 70-200 f/4 IS L

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 11/25/16 at 12:42 pm EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Dave, there is an exceptional artistic quality to this image for me.  Besides, it is a convincing story teller in my opinion. What makes it so interesting to me are the diverse shades and shapes of the cliff complemented by the sparse vegetation. Finally the structure of the group of trees just makes the difference for me. A wonderful framing of this scene to my eye.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/25/16 at 1:23 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I agree with Peter that this is a really fine 'artistic' image. I like that you didn't emphasize the yellows by putting it on a darker background like so many do. This high key rendition is very appealing. I personally don't like the default format for verticals so I would crop some off the top to give this a wider 4X5 look. But that's just me. Great job. A beautiful composition. Well seen and constructed.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/25/16 at 2:14 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Dave,

This a fabulous! Before reading your comments I was wondering where in Death Valley you might have taken this... ;-)  But of course you were no where near DV. 

What a great nature story - so much can be said and inferred with this image.  Great eye to recognize. Love the understated color of the geology too.

Only small wish, would be a skosh more room on the left. Otherwise, this is a wonderful composition.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 11/25/16 at 2:32 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Dave, Fantastic work on this! I absolutely love the looks of this as you brought everything together beautifully. Excellent composition with a perfect blend of light, shapes and textures. Love the way you handled the colors and contrast. Beautiful work. Sounds like it was quite an adventure.
Thanks too for letting me know your thoughts on the camera. Much appreciated. Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Fach on 11/25/16 at 3:43 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1805 Posts, 26981 Comments

Dave: Superb image. Hard to imagine a tree this substantial in such a bleak environment. Makes wonder about its age. Great find nicely captured. >=))>

Bill Fach
Soli Deo Gloria
www.sdgimages.com
Houston, Texas
Flora Gallery Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Fach Gallery of Bill Fach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 11/26/16 at 07:12 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments
Comment last edited by scott lanz on 11/26/16 at 07:12 am EST

Dave, the tree, with in its prime fall color, makes a great anchor and stands out well from the interesting but barren landscape. 17 day trek in Nepal? Wow. Must have been amazing.

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/26/16 at 09:26 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I was wondering when we would see some images from your trip!  A great lead!  Beautiful layering and sweet comp. it has a great starkness offset the popping tree.  This is a beaut. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 11/26/16 at 10:11 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Looks like fine way to start you (hopefully) upcoming images from Nepal. There is a certain poignancy to this that find intriguing. The textures and the color are marvelous, but I do wish for tad more room on the left. I love that tree!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 11/27/16 at 6:26 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Dave, the brightly colored trees are contrasted wonderfully by the subtle colors of the shrubs and the bare ridges behind.  Well seen.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership