Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Crimson and Gold + RP
Photo posted by Dave Dillemuth in the Landscape gallery on 11/21/16 at 10:30 pm EST
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments
Post last edited by Dave Dillemuth on 11/22/16 at 12:16 am EST

Captured last month at Bullfrog Lake in Kings Canyon N.P. I was hoping for some nice clouds but had to settle for the fall colors in the high altitude grasses and ground cover. Appreciate your thoughts/comments.

5DSR, 16-35 f/4 IS L @ 20mm, .75 GND  
5 image stack for focus and exposure.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 11/21/16 at 10:40 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

This is beautiful, Dave.  I really like the reds and golds in the foreground.  The mirror-like reflection with just a hint of light on the peaks is really nice as well. 

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 11/21/16 at 10:42 pm EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

I like the colors, the foreground and the light. Nice reflection. I have looked at this for a while and my mind keeps asking what is past the left edge of the picture, like something has been cut off.

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 11/21/16 at 11:07 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Love the colors here, Dave.  You have put together some outstanding alpine images lately.  I might suggest a square crop to just below the rock a third of the up from the bottom.  Might not be any improvement, but to my eye the image balances a little better without so much foreground. Real nice as is.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marylynne Diggs on 11/21/16 at 11:29 pm EST    
Registered on 12/14/10, 122 Posts, 1034 Comments

Great colors and texture in the rocks.  i too feel something is amiss about the tightness on the left.  Here is my guess...the peak to the left of the tallest one is not very attractive?  Or maybe the shoreline curves in a way that interrupts the compositional flow?  One option, though I would hate to lose the foreground rock, is to go square.  Square has a way of centering our attention and would redirect us away from that left edge.

ML Diggs
Portland OR

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marylynne Diggs Gallery of Marylynne Diggs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 11/22/16 at 12:15 am EST    

Thanks for the valuable input. I can see the point made on the left edge. Fortunately, I have a little more space on the left by removing the crop. I'm not sure if this helps but i think it does... 

Dave Dillemuth

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 11/22/16 at 12:16 am EST    

Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/22/16 at 10:20 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Nice color and scene. Definitely the repost for me. I was going to suggest cropping the bottom, as the foreground rocks dominate too much for me in the original, but the repost balances things out nicely.  Some nice fall color, on the ground. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/22/16 at 10:48 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I never saw an issue with the left edge but agree with many that a crop off the bottom would improve this image, a removal of just above the top edge of the largest rock on the bottom. I just think that a wider 4x4 look would show this off better than the current one. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 11/22/16 at 11:36 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Dave, A beautiful scene with wonderful colors. The second one seems to flow better for me with a bit more room on the left and bottom. The second one with a bottom crop would also work nicely I think. Nice job with the stacking as well.
How do you like the 5DSR? Been thinking about that.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 11/22/16 at 12:59 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

The repost is definitely the winner for me, Dave as the elements feel a little better balanced. The fall colors of the ground cover are gorgeous and the warm light starting to light up the peaks is very striking. I also like the mirror like reflection and the placement of those evergreens in the scene. Beautifully done.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/22/16 at 2:54 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Dave,

This is a wonderful near-far alpine landscape.  I like the image as originally presented.  I also think the repost is just as valid; in fact I think the foreground rocks provide better framing as the bottom anchor to the scene.  The only thing I can suggest might be a slight burning of the foreground rock and ground cover - about the bottom 20% or so?  A very minor tweak.

The first(last?) light on the peaks is a nice final touch to this beautiful scenic.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marylynne Diggs on 11/22/16 at 5:37 pm EST    
Registered on 12/14/10, 122 Posts, 1034 Comments

The repost feels way better to me.  I'm still curious about a more square crop, but of course, that changes everything.  This is a treat to look at.

ML Diggs
Portland OR

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marylynne Diggs Gallery of Marylynne Diggs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Chris Chamberlain on 11/23/16 at 9:01 pm EST    
Registered on 03/13/07, 500 Posts, 8365 Comments

Very nice alpine scene! I would go with the original in terms of color, and the repost for the crop.

Chris

Chris Chamberlain
Vacaville, CA. 95688

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Chris Chamberlain Gallery of Chris Chamberlain

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 11/24/16 at 11:29 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Dave, this is  wonderful Sierra scene. Honestly, I prefer the original image, both in terms of color and contrast, and the framing. I do think a slight burn of the foreground rocks would draw more attention to the central part of the image. Being an old Sierra back country climbing bum, I really enjoy your images from a place I have long called home.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership