Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Portrait of a Bush + rp
Photo posted by Igor Doncov in the Landscape gallery on 11/20/16 at 3:32 pm EST
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Post last edited by Igor Doncov on 12/01/16 at 1:26 pm EST

I have liked sagebrush ever since I can remember. And I'm not sure why. When I moved to Bend, Oregon I had a short affair with the brightly colored rabbit brush but that didn't last long as the sage returned to regain my affections. This image is likely one of many I'll shoot over time trying to get at the truth. Most of my friends don't understand this interest of mine. To them, it's just a bush. And indeed that's all it is.

Please let me know how you feel about the matter.

Canon 6D, 24-105mm@32mm, F18, 1/80sec, ISO 200, tripod, timed delay release

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Jirka on 11/20/16 at 3:52 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 254 Posts, 1620 Comments

I too like sage brush. Especially when they are old the trunks get gnarly and they make interesting testure.

Very nicely done.

Jim Jirka
Auburn, Washington
NPN 1052 

All Photos and Comments by Jim Jirka

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/20/16 at 4:06 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Igor,

Indeed, just a bush. ;-)  But I must say, and hats off to you, this is a very fine presentation - not just of the sage, but including the environment and the landscape extending beyond the sage tells more of a nature story than just a portrait of a bush.  And honestly, it's not the most perfect of sage brush.... which I think makes this even more appealing.

Great job with the processing as well.  No nits or suggestions.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 11/20/16 at 4:27 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

I agree that sagebrush is very photogenic, Igor. It has wonderful form and textures, and nice bluish-green color. I like your near to far comp in this presentation, for these same reasons. The yellow blooms are a bonus.

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 11/20/16 at 4:28 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

I like this a lot, Igor. I am also a fan of sage, rabbit brush, buckwheat, and mountain mahogany. They each have wonderful color and textures as is nicely illustrated in your image. The color and contrast look right on to me, and I like the layers . Well done!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/20/16 at 4:52 pm EST    
Comment last edited by Igor Doncov on 11/20/16 at 4:54 pm EST

It struck me that the shadows could be a bit darker, so I'm posting a rework which is a bit different. Most will likely not see the difference but I find that small differences can make a difference on an almost subconscious level. Be sure to click on this image because the one you're seeing lacks sharpness.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ana on 11/20/16 at 5:20 pm EST    
Registered on 02/10/04, 191 Posts, 1446 Comments

Lovely image and I like your repost.  The shadows do a much better job at conveying a sense of depth in the second versin.

--Ana

All Photos and Comments by Ana

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 11/20/16 at 5:24 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

The repost looks great Igor. (You could probably even vignette a tad more if desired.) I too love sagebrush; I wish photos could convey smell too. cool

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Kuyper on 11/20/16 at 10:01 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 364 Posts, 22328 Comments

First one was good, RP even better.  Nice portrait of something that would ordinarily be overlooked.

Tony Kuyper
Luminosity Masks and other tutorials

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Kuyper Gallery of Tony Kuyper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 11/20/16 at 10:13 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

The view out of my window is very much the same as your image.  My files are full of sage (we have Russian blue sage) that capture light in amazing way.  I like what you have here, but I also love them with a bit more side light. There are times when the sage here glows from my house to the cliffs a mile or so away. Nice of you to post an image like this.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/21/16 at 09:29 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Nice portrait of an everyday thing that works quite well. I like the repost. Very good eye to capture this and make a fine image of it. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 11/21/16 at 11:15 am EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

The soft, subdued colors of the sagebrush with the nice yellows interspersed throughout make for a wonderful image. The repost has a subtle difference that I prefer.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 11/21/16 at 5:46 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Igor, The first one did look good, but yes, the repost is even better. You took a scene most would walk right on by and made a piece of Fine Art! Wonderful work! I like it a lot. cool

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/21/16 at 7:13 pm EST    

Thank you Nick and everyone else for all your kind comments. Yes, I do feel particularly good about common simple subjects when I 'unlock' their beauty. 

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership