Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Emerald Pool + Repost
Photo posted by Dave Dillemuth in the Landscape gallery on 11/19/16 at 7:43 pm EST
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments
Post last edited by Dave Dillemuth on 11/20/16 at 12:52 pm EST

Kings Canyon N.P. backcountry tarn. Comments, critiques and suggestions appreciated. Needs to be viewed large.

5DSR, 16-25 f/4 IS L @ 28mm
ISO100, f/11, .4s

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/19/16 at 8:02 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Quite a nice pool! I see a ton of cyan in the background. I would back way off on the cyan (and maybe throughout). The pond seems a little cyan to my eye too. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 11/20/16 at 09:21 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

A lovely look at this beautifully clear emerald pond, Dave.  The glow of the tree reflections (as well as the trees) looks great.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 11/20/16 at 10:07 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Nice find in the backcountry, Dave. The water color is very appealing. I also being able to see simultaneously both the reflections and under the water. Nicely captured.

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 11/20/16 at 11:26 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

I like the composition, Dave. I must admit that I have a soft spot for Sierra tarns: There is something special the light and colors. I do agree with Harley regarding the cyan, and I would add that the saturation over-all could be brought don a notch. I especially like the reflections of the trees.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 11/20/16 at 12:51 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Thanks, after playing with the file a bit, I agree with the suggestions. I adjusted the color balance and reduced the vibrance.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/20/16 at 2:57 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Dave,

Indeed a lovely little gem of a pool.  I really like the submerged rock/log as an anchor to scene.  The repost is a marked improvement colorwise, although I think you could reduce the cyan further.  I know we all have our methods, but think there are still some patches of snow showing through both in the water and bg forest that appear leaning cyan.  For me a quick fix is a saturation layer and simply reducing the cyan and/or blue channel a bit. But that's minor considering your original.  It also appears the repost is a tad brighter?

Certainly a warm and lovely image worth squeezing the best out of.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 11/20/16 at 4:03 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Dave, The repost works great for me and it seems more appealing for me. Love the looks of the pool with such nice reflections and being able to see down through it adds some wonderful interest and that foreground submerged rock looks great.The shadowed snow looks fine to me in the repost because I like the contrast, but I suppose reducing the cyan a bit more might work too. 

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/20/16 at 4:10 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Comment last edited by Igor Doncov on 11/20/16 at 4:14 pm EST

I find the repost a marked improvement. I think you got the water just right now. How to reduce the cyan in the snow but leave the water unchanged? Perhaps those TK masks could help. Regardless, the repost is really nice. 

Oh, BTW when I first saw your thumbnail of the image I thought it may have been one of those hot pools in Yellowstone that photographers like. Incidentally someone slid into that pool last week and got boiled alive. Never found him. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 11/20/16 at 5:37 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

I really like this one Dave, especially the large version. I'll take the counter point and say keep a little of the original's color and vibrance. Version two seems too yellow to me.

Regardless, I love the combo of the clarity of the water and the reflections. Just beautiful.devil

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 11/20/16 at 9:49 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

This has the look of a tropical pool, Dave.  The clarity and reflection combine to make a very pleasing image.  I like the repost, but agree, that the cyan is still quite visible. Nice work.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership