Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Icicles, Little Susitna
Photo posted by Vance Gese in the Landscape gallery on 11/08/16 at 2:27 pm EST
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Icicles hang from a fallen spruce tree over a maelstrom of flowing, cold water along the Little Susitna River of Alaska one chilly autumn evening several years ago.  Using my longest lens on the 4x5 and the careful use of some back tilt, I was able to isolate these icicles from across the river without getting too wet.  Would appreciate any and all comments and suggestions on this image.

4x5, 600mm, no filters, Velvia.  M1 flat bed scan, Tony Kuyper's masks and such.  (For those interested, the 600mm is the telephoto design one that Nikon used to produce.  One heavy chunk of glass but only requires 19inches of bellows draw rather than 23inches).

Large size image posted as well.

Thanks.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 11/08/16 at 3:47 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

This is beautiful and though I haven't had the chance to try to take a similar image too many times in the past, I know it can be challenging. I love the clump of icicles, interesting in their own right, but they point to the wonderful patterns in the water. Shutter speed is perfect for my taste. Looks really cold---I like the amount of blue. Really gorgeous.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Hoveijn on 11/08/16 at 3:56 pm EST    
Registered on 11/02/15, 18 Posts, 192 Comments

Usually I am not a fan of milky water, but here it contrasts nicely with the well defined icicles. The latter are interesting enough for a tight crop. But I like this composition very much. The streamlines of the water give a nice flow through the frame. The slightly blue cast conveys the cold and goes well with the red-brown colour of the log. Like it.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Hoveijn Gallery of Igor Hoveijn

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Norma Tareila Matl on 11/08/16 at 5:04 pm EST    
Registered on 10/27/16, 229 Posts, 393 Comments

Wow! Amazing and hard work using a 4x5 camers. Never could get those swings and tilts so isolating the icicles is very impressive. The soft feel from the front water flow makes this pop out. Thank you for sharing this chilly scene. Only thing for me is the dark black shadows in the upper right corner. 

Norma Tareila-Matley
Tewksbury, MA
Rangeley, ME

“Photograph: a picture painted by light.”— Pablo Picasso

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Norma Tareila Matl Gallery of Norma Tareila Matl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rick Turner on 11/08/16 at 5:37 pm EST    
Registered on 02/18/12, 534 Posts, 2755 Comments

A capture very unique and well processed.

Rick Turner
Dallas

"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships"..
Ansel Adams

Keep on Shooting!
God Bless Texas!!!!!!

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Rick Turner Gallery of Rick Turner

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/08/16 at 5:45 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Real sweet, Vance. The blues work really well in this image. Very well done. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 11/09/16 at 09:46 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Vance, the sharp look at the icicles and how they contrast with the flow in the water is great.  As others have said the eye movement through this is great and the ss on the water perfect.  I really like how the icicles sparkle in the larger view.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 11/09/16 at 10:44 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Vance, This is very nice!. I agree with Mark that the contrast between the sharpness of icicles and the water motion works great here. The cool blue tones look perfect for this as well. Large size is especially nice.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Williams on 11/09/16 at 11:22 pm EST    
Registered on 12/28/10, 636 Posts, 3499 Comments

This has so many nice pieces to it Vance. Nice flow of the water against the very sharp icicles, wonderful blue colors, interesting overall composition. Feels like we are right in the middle of it all.

Ed Williams
www.chasindaylight.com
La Habra, CA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Williams Gallery of Ed Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Schoen on 11/10/16 at 12:11 pm EST    
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments

A beautiful image for sure.  Really nice composition and fascinating color scheme.  I don't feel qualified to comment on the technical aspects of this.   It sure is nice to look at.

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 11/11/16 at 12:53 am EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

That is lovely!  Excellent job on this!  I have tried to do something similar to this, and it is tough to get it right. I have never gotten mine to be anywhere close to this.  Getting the icicles in focus and still getting the right look to the water is very, very difficult, at least for me!  Those little icicles are fascinating little things!!  Bravo!  devildevil

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 11/11/16 at 11:09 am EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

What makes this image special is the contrast between the curving patterns in the water and the straight angular lines of the icicles. 

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Wayne Jones on 11/11/16 at 11:34 am EST    
Registered on 04/18/07, 953 Posts, 6435 Comments

Wow, that's impressive work with big equipment!  Your shutter speed is perfect for my taste, providing a nice contrast between the sharp icyles and the water, but still retaining enough detail in the water to avoid that artificial "milkshake" look.  Exposure, processing, tones and cool color are all superb.

Wayne Jones
Upstate New York

The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the composer; but when the last individual of a race of living beings breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again. William Beebe, 1906

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Wayne Jones Gallery of Wayne Jones

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 11/15/16 at 9:59 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

Masterful Vance. Just a treat with those two elements of ice and water motion mixed. I just upgraded the software on my monitor calibrator, but on my view it's a little dark overall.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 11/17/16 at 02:48 am EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

Love these combinations of icicles and flowing water scenes. Colour balance is just cool enough without being over the top. Great find.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lucy Aron on 12/21/16 at 10:34 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/11, 189 Posts, 1160 Comments

Lovely contrasts of soft and hard-edged lines as well as contrasting directions of the lines.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lucy Aron Gallery of Lucy Aron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership