Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Birch Pond + rp
Photo posted by Igor Doncov in the Landscape gallery on 11/06/16 at 12:59 pm EST
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Post last edited by Igor Doncov on 11/06/16 at 3:53 pm EST

I was rushing down the Dalton Hwy in order to get to in time for dinner when I saw all this in a flash out of the corner of by eye across and through the passenger side window. The birches, their reflections, and the myriad of leaves scattered evenly across the perfectly still water. I kept on driving another 10 miles to Coldfoot where we ate our $10 burger and drove back. Everything looked just as I had imagined it in that brief moment. It was late in the day and there was no direct light so the colors were unimpressive. I sensed this would be a b&w image but came back the next morning to see it in color. The much contrastier morning shot just didn't have the magic.

I'm interested in how you think this could be improved. Please see LARGER version.

Canon 6D, 24-105mm@85mm, F8, ISO 100, 1/10 sec, tripod, timed shutter release

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 11/06/16 at 1:15 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

You were lucky. Everytime I glimpse one of these drivebys, it never pans out. I don't know what I would do to change it. Maybe a little more tonal difference between the leaves and trunks. I don't know. Just throwing it out there.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Wolfenden on 11/06/16 at 1:55 pm EST    
Registered on 05/18/07, 1108 Posts, 7647 Comments

Not sure I would change much if anything, Igor.  What I like about this is the graininess - it has almost the feel for me of an old time image, and I rather like that.  The composition, with the low horizon line of the lake edge, is just fine.

Manchester, England

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Wolfenden Gallery of Ian Wolfenden

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/06/16 at 2:28 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Comment last edited by Igor Doncov on 11/06/16 at 2:30 pm EST

I seem to have sharpening issues on this one. It was originally conceived with greater edge to it. See larger version.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Prashant Khapane on 11/06/16 at 2:44 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 492 Posts, 4580 Comments

I agree there is some sharpening issue. However image is just fine. Nothing to chage.

Dr.-Ing. Prashant Khapane
www.travel-hopefully.com

All Photos and Comments by Prashant Khapane

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Navin Sarma on 11/06/16 at 5:26 pm EST    
Registered on 07/17/11, 233 Posts, 1373 Comments

I like the sharpness and rigidity to this image. I may lower the shadows for a bit more contrast, just to see how it looks... but really nice as is.

Navin Sarma
Washington, D.C.

website

All Photos and Comments by Navin Sarma

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 11/06/16 at 6:26 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Igor, I have been looking at this for awhile now. I like it quite a lot and find it to be an interesting image that keeps me looking. It appears to be over sharpened to me but that somehow seems to add some kind of look that works with the b&w processing. Your composition works great by the way. Makes me wonder how this would look in a print. Cool stuff! 

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/07/16 at 5:42 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I like this quite a bit. Like Navin, I might darken the darks a bit to boost the contrast a bit and see how it looks. Real sweet image as is.  Nice photography. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 11/07/16 at 10:05 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

This is gorgeous, Igor. If I saw this scene before me my $10 burger would have to wait. I really like the mood with the calm water and the fallen leaves spread out across it. My only suggestion would be to lighten the lighter tones just a bit to give the scene a bit more tonal separation. Great work.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 11/08/16 at 2:10 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Stunning image, Igor.  The luminous quality to the birch leaves, both on the trees and on the water, I feel is simply marvelous, against which the verticals of the tree trunks ties all together in an incredible composition.  The line of leaves along the shoreline also really adds to the exquisite graphic nature of your image.  The larger image is a joy to view.  Fantastic b/w work.

Having had those burgers at Coldfoot many a time, I can attest to how good they are, especially after a week or two of wet and cold.  I think they were $7.50 back in my days but worth every penny.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark James Ford on 11/11/16 at 3:08 pm EST    
Registered on 01/16/15, 60 Posts, 430 Comments

Hi Igor, a wonder B/W image. The composition is great and to me not obvious that it should have ended in a B/W so very good eyes! i feel B/W conversion is a very personal thing and i would guess that almost everybody here could/would end with a slightly different rendition from each other. i like your 'gentle' (not too contrasty) conversion as is!   

Mark James Ford    
Wiesbaden, Germany
www.markjamesford.photography

All Photos and Comments by Mark James Ford

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 11/13/16 at 9:59 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I've been out on a fishing trip and extended time away from computers, so sorry to be so tardy in commenting.  There are many times when I see things driving down the road and for what ever reason, pass it by.  Only recently, have I started to take the time to at least explore the possibilities of a decent image.  I applaud your discipline to return and take the image. A fine image at that.  I like your black and white interpretation.  We all have different thresholds of contrast and I like that you kept this on the subtle side.  I personally would have done a couple of different versions, but who knows which one I would have presented here.  I like the repost a bit better, but the original is also very good. 

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership