Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Aspen Boles
Photo posted by Vance Gese in the Landscape gallery on 10/21/16 at 7:14 pm EST
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments
Post last edited by Vance Gese on 10/31/16 at 5:13 pm EST

Thank you very much for the comments on the last image.  Really appreciate all feedback.

These aspens were found near Ester, Alaska one chilly autumn morning, back in the 1990's.  The strong vertical lines really appealed to me at the time and so tried to accentuate that aspect with the use of a long lens, which ended up being quite a challenge within the contraints of this forest and the use of the 4x5.  The background ended up being a little soft.  Would really appreciate your thoughts and suggestions on this image.

4x5, 600mm, Ektachrome 64 (that'll date me), f64, many seconds.  Flat bed (M1) scan, Tony Kuyper's masks and such.

Large image attached.

Thanks.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 10/21/16 at 8:41 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I definitely like this, Vance. Really minor but I am seeing a very subtle color cast of cyan. It won't make much of a difference, but seems to make the trees more neutral and natural looking to my eye. Maybe it is just my synapses misfiring.  Cool image!!

A 600? Telephoto version or an absolute monster of a lens?

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 10/21/16 at 9:03 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

This is a nice graphic sense to it. This abstract is visually confusing to me at times in that the far trees seem to be closer at times and at other times farther. The loss of perspective plays with your mind. I like the fact that you didn't go b&w on this because the subtle colors do add to it. The tonal difference between the fg and bg trees also work well here.  

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 10/21/16 at 9:16 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

This is sweet, Vance.  I'm a sucker for Aspen bole images and have tried many times to do one myself, with little success.  Not an easy image to pull off. I do agree with Harley that there is a slight cyan color cast.  Not a big deal at all.  I love the little patch of golden leaves top center.  I also disagree with Igor, in that I think it would make a stunning b/w.(of course that's what I see most times).  Regardless of how you present it, it is very, very nice.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tom Falley on 10/21/16 at 10:08 pm EST    
Registered on 11/21/14, 189 Posts, 454 Comments

Vance:

This looks a whole lot like the view out my Kitchen Window.  Healthy big Aspen and Birch forest with the here and there large White Spruce. I live about 10 miles away from Ester, to the North and West.  Getting our first snow!

Large format images are not at their best in this format where fine detail can let the eye rove. Depth of field is always a large format issue in an image like thins, long before the idea of image stacking was even imagined.

Softly enjoyable and catches the peaceful mood of the Northern Forest!

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tom Falley Gallery of Tom Falley

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Kuyper on 10/21/16 at 10:57 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 364 Posts, 22328 Comments

Exquisite, Vance.  I like how there are three dominant vertical arrangements amidst all the verticalness.  Nice strong colors and contrast too.  Very nice.

Tony Kuyper
Luminosity Masks and other tutorials

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Kuyper Gallery of Tony Kuyper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Fach on 10/22/16 at 08:29 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1805 Posts, 26981 Comments

Vance: Frame filling fantastic. The larger version is a visual treat. I like the color as well and the textures are marvelous. Most excellent.>=))>

Bill Fach
Soli Deo Gloria
www.sdgimages.com
Houston, Texas
Flora Gallery Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Fach Gallery of Bill Fach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 10/22/16 at 10:14 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Vance, I love this shot! The large version is just amazing for me to look at. My eye goes in and out between the foreground and background trees and it is very cool. I like the color this has and the perfect composition. Fantastic image!
I shot a lot of that E-64 a few years back now. 

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 10/23/16 at 06:24 am EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Vance, these repetitive patterns and delightful details are fascinating to me. The almost monochromatic character with only slight hints at colors works very well in my opinion. Regarding the composition, the one trunk at the right tends to lead me out of the frame, while the strong verticals at the left anchor the image well for me and pull me back again. Great work to my eye.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 10/23/16 at 11:39 am EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments
Comment last edited by Doug Koepsel on 10/23/16 at 12:19 pm EST

I like how the greener cast of the closer boles helps with their size to separate them from the bluer distant boles. It is often difficult to get a view with just boles filling the scene with no spaces.  I could see maybe reducing the blues just a little, but not getting rid of the blue. If you have some pixels, maybe add back to the far left.  A consideration may be to try a pano crop also.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 10/23/16 at 4:09 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

We all look for these kind of aspen comps and not many succeed. This is about perfect....

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 10/24/16 at 03:01 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

I like this a lot, Vance. I love birches' trunks. Agreed with a slightly cyan dominant. Large image is stunning. 

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 10/24/16 at 5:19 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

The combination of details and strong sense of abstraction are terrific, Vance.  Your choice to emphasize the 3 groups of larger, foreground trunks with the smaller ones providing a backdrop with great depth works very well.  I didn't notice the slight softness.  If anything, it adds to the sense of depth.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 10/25/16 at 1:02 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Beautiful Vance.  That's one thick stand of trees!  I love the texture you captured and the balanced composition.  It seems a bit bluish on my uncalibrated work monitor, but I'll recheck it tonight on a photo monitor.  Nice work.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership