Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Veil + repost
Photo posted by Vance Gese in the Landscape gallery on 10/19/16 at 8:12 pm EST
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments
Post last edited by Vance Gese on 10/31/16 at 5:13 pm EST

There is probably a Bridal Veil Falls in every state, likely several.  This Bridal Veil Falls is located in Keystone Canyon which is north of Valdez, Alaska right along the Richardson Highway.  Several years ago when living in Alaska, I spent a week chasing waterfalls in this area of Alaska.  Made quite a few images but this one was always my favorite.  Have wanted to scan this 4x5 for years and finally got around to it.  Did crop a little off the right hand side.  The long exposure was pretty much dictated by the aperture needed and the iso50 film.

Would appreciate any and all thoughts and ideas, comments and suggestions on this image.

4x5, 360mm, Velvia, Polarizer.  Flat bed (M1) scan, Tony Kuyper's masks and such.

Larger image attached which is far better than the smaller.

Thanks.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Kuyper on 10/19/16 at 11:34 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 364 Posts, 22328 Comments

Very nice comp with the rock diagonals creating a more dynamic character.  I also like the subtle textures you've preserved in the lights and shadows.

Tony Kuyper
Luminosity Masks and other tutorials

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Kuyper Gallery of Tony Kuyper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 10/20/16 at 06:45 am EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Vance, this a is very appealing composition to me, I especially enjoy the variety of cascades. Although one might tend to present this scene in b&w, the colors add a lot in my opinion. I just think of reducing the saturation a bit, as there is a slight magenta cast viewing on my monitor.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 10/20/16 at 09:20 am EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Really like this. very effective yet simple composition. Lot going on to keep the viewer interested. The diagonals behind the falls add a nice contrast to the vertical water.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 10/20/16 at 09:31 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments
Comment last edited by Nick Bristol on 10/20/16 at 09:39 am EST

Vance, This is a beautiful waterfall picture. It's a great looking falls and I do like those diagonal rock lines as Tony mentioned. The lower part of this falls reminds me of a picture I shot at Gooseberry Falls on the north shore of Lake Superior, but here I like what the upper part adds to this one. I do see a little magenta cast as Peter mentioned but it still looks good. The rock might actually have that cast naturally and the reflected light could show in the falling water I guess, so probably a matter of taste. I like the shutter speed you captured this at. Very cool shot!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 10/20/16 at 09:46 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful, Vance. I love the way the falls look like light beams from the sky. And such a sweet series of cascades. Sweet image. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 10/20/16 at 11:47 am EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Love this comp, Vance! I love the repeating, opposing diagonals, and just that little bit of the foreground to stop the water from going out of the image. I do agree about toning down the color cast a little bit, though.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Albert Darmo on 10/20/16 at 4:19 pm EST    
Registered on 11/25/08, 1386 Posts, 11978 Comments

Hi  Vance crying  Wow  !    love  the  light.      i  wish  i  could  be  there       you  captured  the  symmetrical beauty  of  the  form  of  the  falls  perfectlydevil
Albert Darmo
Canada

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Albert Darmo Gallery of Albert Darmo

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 10/20/16 at 7:07 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Thank you everyone for your comments.  The color cast was not obvious to me, maybe from staring at this image for way too many hours.  I have attached a repost in which I have attempted to rectify the color cast problem.  Hopefully it works.  Would appreciate your feedback.
Thanks.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 10/20/16 at 7:32 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Although the repost may be a more accurate rendition of reality, I like the fairy book look to the original. I thought it was  more creative.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 10/21/16 at 08:26 am EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Vance, I think the repost is much better. Great shot!

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Fach on 10/21/16 at 1:26 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1805 Posts, 26981 Comments

Vance: I do think the repost is a slight improvement but there isn't much room for improvement on this one to begin with. Beautiful subject superbly captured and rendered.>=))>

Bill Fach
Soli Deo Gloria
www.sdgimages.com
Houston, Texas
Flora Gallery Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Fach Gallery of Bill Fach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 10/21/16 at 5:34 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Outstanding image, Vance.  With or without the color cast, it is very close to ideal.  Just beautifully done.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership