Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Bullfrog Lake
Photo posted by Dave Dillemuth in the Landscape gallery on 09/21/16 at 10:00 pm EST
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments
Post last edited by Dave Dillemuth on 09/21/16 at 10:53 pm EST

Sunset last week at Bullfrog Lake in Kings Canyon National Park, Sierra Nevada. This lake is a relatively easy 6.5 mile hike from the trailhead. 

5DSR, 16-35 f/4 L IS @ 16mm, 6 stop ND + 2.5 stop GND.

ISO100, f/13, 15s

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 09/22/16 at 12:26 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Beautiful evening light and a beautiful place. I really like what the 5DS adds richness of detail and color. I feel the composition could be stronger. The near shoreline and the distance mountains are really well done but the middleground (water) is weaker and this takes up a sizeable portion of the image. Had there been no wind you might have had nice reflections and this would not been an issue. Anyway, this is a marvelous image either way.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by SandyRichardsBrown on 09/22/16 at 12:48 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/03, 3937 Posts, 12909 Comments

Beautiful, peaceful scene - sharp detail, and many different elements to see.
Fine image!
Sandy

Sandy Richards-Brown, NPN #0367
Brookings, Oregon (summer/fall) and Sedona, Arizona (winter/spring)   
PNW and RMNP  Regional Member 
NATURE'S MAJESTY IMAGING
http://naturesmajestyimaging.zenfolio.com/

"All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
Each little flower that opens, Each little bird that sings, He made their glowing colors, He made their tiny wings."

- Ce­cil F. Al­ex­an­der, Hymns for Lit­tle Child­ren, 1848, Ireland

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by SandyRichardsBrown Gallery of SandyRichardsBrown

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 09/22/16 at 10:14 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

Very good light here, Dave. Love the balanced composition and the choppy lake water. I also enjoy the red/blu contrast. Nicely done!

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 09/22/16 at 2:21 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

A beautiful tranquil high Sierra scene. Love the warm light on peaks. That makes the image for me. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 09/22/16 at 7:27 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments
Comment last edited by Nick Bristol on 09/22/16 at 7:28 pm EST

Dave, This is a scene that just makes one feel good while looking at it. You did a great job with this composition and I really like what the longer exposure added with the water and reflections. I too really like that warm light on the distant peaks. Very cool work! 
Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 09/23/16 at 12:36 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

The warm light on the mountains adds a nice dimension here, and adds depth. I also like subdued reflection and the details in the foreground. Well done!

Quick question, Dave: Which trailhead?
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 09/23/16 at 5:49 pm EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

This is a nice scene and it has a lot to look at. I wish there was more of the nice background light on the main rock on the edge of the lake in the background.

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jeffrey Sipress on 09/23/16 at 7:53 pm EST    
Registered on 02/17/04, 236 Posts, 1197 Comments

Fine image, Dave.  That's a real nice hike.  

Jeffrey Sipress, Santa Barbara, CA    

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jeffrey Sipress Gallery of Jeffrey Sipress

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 09/25/16 at 12:42 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Very nice, Dave.  I like the steely blue of the water and the warm light on the peaks.  I would remove the leaf on the bottom left corner, but that's the only improvement I can suggest.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 09/25/16 at 1:08 pm EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments
Comment last edited by Anil Rao on 09/25/16 at 1:09 pm EST

Your recent pictures from the Sierra have been nothing short of spectacular and this is another one to add to that bunch. The water looks inviting. I also love the evening light falling on the mountains in the background. A beautiful location whose tranquil nature has been portrayed here so wonderfully.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 09/25/16 at 10:44 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

I see Igor's point about being a bit lower for the shot and shortening the middle, but overall the processing has a shimmer 
to it that I like a lot. The FG plants, especially the Yucca?, add a lot....

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership