Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Undergrowth Clouds
Photo posted by Igor Doncov in the Landscape gallery on 08/24/16 at 01:59 am EST
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Post last edited by Igor Doncov on 08/31/16 at 12:28 pm EST

I'm above the Arctic Circle now. The lichens dominate the landscape here. What is most impressive beneath the spruce trees are these carpets of puffy lichens that look like the clouds below when you fly over them. Although they are everywhere, catching their 'spirit' on film proved to be evasive. This is my favorite attempt so far. I used a slightly warm white balance to complement the few berries and leaves. Let me know what you think.

Canon 6D, 24-105mm@78, F16.0, ISO100, tripod, etc.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 08/24/16 at 10:31 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

That is quite the nice carpet of the lichen. It looks a little on warm side to my eye, but that is strictly personal preference. The whites and reds compliment each other nicely. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tom Falley on 08/24/16 at 11:21 am EST    
Registered on 11/21/14, 189 Posts, 454 Comments

Ah, Cladonia, a favorite food of Caribou.  A luscious photo when the eye can roam the detail, a lot goes on in the macro we miss.

perhaps the image would be more dynamic with the tree positioned off center?

Cheers.   Tom

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tom Falley Gallery of Tom Falley

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 08/24/16 at 2:52 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

I am really enjoying this miniature landscape, Igor. The large version showcases the details in the scene and lets the eye wander throughout and savor them. Excellent image.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 08/24/16 at 4:12 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

This is very nice, Igor. The contrast of textures between the lichens and tree trunk work well. Processing looks good but I do detect a bit of a greenish cast. I'm not sure if will improve the tonality or not but I would experiment with pulling back on the green channel a bit.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 08/24/16 at 4:48 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

What an amazing find this was and I really like how you showed it with this composition. I do notice the greenish cast but at the same time enjoy the looks of it this way. Very cool capture Igor!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 08/24/16 at 7:56 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Fascinating groundcover, Igor. I am not sold on the inclusion and placement of the tree, but this is very nice with or without the tree. Maybe some closer comps as well?

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 08/24/16 at 8:11 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I really like what you have here, Igor.  The lichen is incredible mixed in with reds and greens.  I don't mind the placement of the trunk at all, but I would clone the branch from the right side.  It just looks out of place to me, with everything fitting so nicely in the rest of the image.  Nice find.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 08/24/16 at 8:30 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

I like this a lot Igor.  A lot to enjoy with the lacy lichens and sporadic rust colored plants.  The tree truck serves as a wonderful anchor.  The only suggestion I have is to clone out the thin branch top and center.  It causes the eye to stop there.  I am really enjoying this regardless.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 08/28/16 at 01:10 am EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Love this image, Igor.  Love your composition with the tree in the center and the sea of lichen filling the frame with their delicate beauty.  Fantastic.  The larger image is truly a joy to view.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 08/31/16 at 02:01 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Thank you all for your thoughtful comments. I will see if I can do something about that greenish tinge that some are noticing. I didn't see it myself but sometimes you get so absorbed in your work that colors (especially) go unnoticed.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership