Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Hoh Forest Drapery
Photo posted by Vance Gese in the Landscape gallery on 05/12/16 at 9:59 pm EST
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments
Post last edited by Donna Erhardt on 05/20/16 at 12:55 pm EST

Thank you for all the great comments on the last image.  Really appreciate all input.

Made this image one spring morning in the Hoh Forest of Olympic NP in 2013.  These spruce trees were literally dripping with moss.  The greens and yellows of the moss together with the reds in the tree bark made for what I thought would be a nice image.  Hopefully the colors look okay and not too saturated.  Would appreciate any and all comments and suggestions on this image.

4x5, 210mm, warm polarizer.  Velvia 100F.  TK masks and such.

Please look at the larger, detail image.  Tried at 1500p this time.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, critiques, ideas.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 05/12/16 at 11:31 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Amazing greens Vance!  A lot of abstract qualities that I like.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 05/13/16 at 02:25 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Wow, Vance, that is some kinda frame filling green.  Love the red/green combo and the intensity of the colors works very well for me.  The moss is crazy and I applaud your ability to distil an amazing image from the chaos of this fantasy forest.  Really cool.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 05/13/16 at 09:53 am EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

The textures in green and how they pop (in a good way) is off the charts. Quite amazing to view the large version.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 05/13/16 at 09:59 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Delightful. I love the blast of green and you have done a great job making order of chaos. This definitely needs to be viewed big. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Jirka on 05/13/16 at 10:23 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 254 Posts, 1620 Comments

Yep that is how it looks. I believe you isolated an area to truly show the massive growth of the whole area. Not saturated at all.

Looking at the small version, it almost looked 3D like. The larger view to me is more true to life.

Jim Jirka
Auburn, Washington
NPN 1052 

All Photos and Comments by Jim Jirka

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Roel Wijtmans on 05/13/16 at 11:55 am EST    
Registered on 09/30/12, 116 Posts, 2257 Comments

When looking at the thumbnail I was convinced this should have been in the photo art gallery, until I opened the large version and was blown away by the vibrance of this place. WOW, that is something I want to see in real life! What a joy to look at. Not an improvement, but just a thought: crop out the left tree to make the image even more abstract?

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roel Wijtmans Gallery of Roel Wijtmans

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 05/13/16 at 3:38 pm EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Vance, there is an amazing atmosphere to this image for me. Your processing is spot on to my eye an really draws me in. It must be overwhelming as a large print.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 05/13/16 at 11:14 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

Fascinating image Vance, to quote Kah "in a good way." I love the way it borders on abstract, even though it's obviously a forest.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Schoen on 05/14/16 at 12:32 pm EST    
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments

The rainforest is really an amazing place and the Hoh is one of the best examples in the Pacific Northwest.  This small piece of the pie here is done quite well to reproduce the sense of green lushness one gets when visiting this incredible environment.  Well done.

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by D.A. Edwards on 05/14/16 at 9:42 pm EST    
Registered on 10/08/14, 226 Posts, 1187 Comments

Beautiful, Vance, and if anything I think that you could push the saturation a touch more. Such restraint ;-)
I also like Roel's suggestion about a crop from the left to eliminate some of the dark bits that in this case are a little distracting.

D.A. (Dave) Edwards
Sacramento, The Golden State, USA

All Photos and Comments by D.A. Edwards

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 05/15/16 at 8:09 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Amazing image, Vance. devil

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 05/16/16 at 1:22 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

This is gorgeous, Vance. Excellent comp. of the repeating patterns created by the trees. No nits.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Youssef Ismail on 05/24/16 at 2:35 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 474 Posts, 5555 Comments

WOW!frown  Vance!  A print of this must be absolutely stunning!  The light makes this look surreal.  Outstanding.

Sincerely,
Youssef Ismail - Los Gatos, CA
Organic Light Photography
Organic Light Pan - Web Journal
NPN 1234

See the world in a new light ...
...Organic Light!

------
   Follow Me on Twitter
Become a Fan on Facebook
If you contemplate the sublimity of The Sublime then all suspicion will sublimate into certainty about what you are seeing and what you saw and what you will see. The fog of illusion will then vanish and only Reality will remain without any doubt or suspicion.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Youssef Ismail Gallery of Youssef Ismail

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marylynne Diggs on 05/24/16 at 11:45 pm EST    
Registered on 12/14/10, 122 Posts, 1034 Comments

Fabulous!  This is one of those images where medium or large for,at makes a huge, immediately visible difference.  This is just luscious.
ML

ML Diggs
Portland OR

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marylynne Diggs Gallery of Marylynne Diggs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership