Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Flows + Revision
Photo posted by Vance Gese in the Landscape gallery on 04/20/16 at 10:35 pm EST
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments
Post last edited by Jim Erhardt on 04/27/16 at 6:41 pm EST

A seasonal cascade along a fascinating rock found along the Savage River of Denali NP in Alaska several years ago.  Was able to photograph this rock several times over the years I lived in Alaska, but on this occasion, soon after a good rainstorm, the small waterfall was flowing fairly well, seemingly mimicking the flowing designs in the rock.  Would appreciate your thoughts or suggestions on this image.
Pentax 67 (wish I still had this great camera), 75mm, warm polarizer, Velvia.  Flatbed scan, TK masks and such.

Larger size, detail image attached.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions, ideas, comments.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 04/20/16 at 11:50 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Wow Vance, that is one colorful rock.  I can see why you have photographed it many times.  I have been enjoying the large version for quite a while and I love it.  The flow of the waterfall is a perfect compliment.  If I had any suggestion at all it would be to clone or burn the one bright rock bottom right. Very minor and perhaps not an issue at all.  Beautiful work as always.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 04/21/16 at 02:55 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Vance,

That is one gorgeous specimen of geologic time. No doubt it would be a favorite subject and to catch these conditions with the cascading water had to be special.

The 6x7 format works beautifully here in terms of the comp. For me though, and this is rare to have to offer a critique or suggestions on one of your images... but I'll go a step further from Gary's suggestion of burning the LRC and even go so far as cloning or dealing with the brightest little rock. For though, I'm unsure about the blue/cyan rock on the right edge.  It's either I want more, or none because my eye is pulled there - and away from the cascades.  I'm wondering about a crop of the aqua blue. This would leave a more vertical comp, which happens to coincide with the vertical nature of the cascades.  But then again, that may not be your vision.

Colors are brilliant here.  Love this Vance!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 04/21/16 at 08:09 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

That is quite the colorful rock, Vance.  There are also fine, subtle colors in the wet rocks and a fine sense of falling both in the water and in the layers of the big rock.  I like the extra drama that the bluish colors along the rhs add but there is some nice pop in a vertical with those cropped.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 04/21/16 at 09:13 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful scene and real popping great color.  I see what Lon is saying about the right side cyan, but I it is not really bothering me. Real nice image.

If you really want another Pentax 67, I bet you can pick one up for next to nothing these days. :)

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 04/21/16 at 09:19 am EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

A wonderful study of contrasts Vance. Apart from that little speck of a rock mentioned above I would be very happy with this.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Roel Wijtmans on 04/21/16 at 11:02 am EST    
Registered on 09/30/12, 116 Posts, 2257 Comments

Not the usual comp, but that rock just has to be photographed like that! I could wish for a wee bit more space to the left, but that is not a big deal at all, and this is perfectly fine as is. Such a beautiful rock, I understand why you kept photographing it over those years.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roel Wijtmans Gallery of Roel Wijtmans

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 04/21/16 at 11:10 am EST    
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments

Well I would have betted that this was a film image, even before I saw the name but it was indeed a pleasant surprise to see someone else using not only my favourite camera, but also the one I still use most to this day.  Lovely hot and cool colours all contained by my favourite format.  Get another one Vance, go on you know it doesn't make sense, but who cares about that.

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jean C Cajolet on 04/21/16 at 9:38 pm EST    
Registered on 04/28/14, 53 Posts, 532 Comments

A happy mood is the result of this fascinating scene dressed with colorful rocks. A very nice picture well composed, I like it.

Jean-Claude Cajolet
Qc, Canada
www.cajophoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jean C Cajolet Gallery of Jean C Cajolet

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 04/21/16 at 9:46 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

This is very beautiful. Some superb textural and warm/cool contrasts between the silky water and the rock. Processing looks spot-on. The cyan cast mentioned does not bother me but I agree, while very minor, on burning down that one bright stone in the lower right corner.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 04/22/16 at 2:36 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions.  You guys see things that I overlook or flat out miss and I really appreciate all your careful, well-thought comments.
The attached revision addresses all suggestions I believe (short of cropping the image).  I toned down the cyans and blues on the right hand side, moving those tones more to gray, burned that same area a bit as well as the lower right hand corner rocks. I definitely want the cascade and the warm tones and lines of the rock to be the main focus.  I did clone out a couple of tiny, white pebbles here and there that were distracting.
Ian and Harley, I have considered buying another Pentax 67 on many an occasion, usually after whining to my wife about the weight of the 4x5.  Then I think that if I wait, just maybe the price of digital medium format will come down in price to something I could afford.  Wishful thinking.
Thanks again for the comments.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 04/22/16 at 8:24 pm EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

Great light and color. A very interesting subject that could be photographed many different ways. I like the second image. 

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 04/22/16 at 8:39 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Vance,

Thanks for letting us know about the revised image.  Awesome!  Great thinking on simply reducing the blue/cyan rather than cropping!  Why didn't I think of that?

Even small changes like that can make a world of difference. Great job!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ken Smith on 04/22/16 at 10:35 pm EST    
Registered on 09/05/08, 449 Posts, 2444 Comments

Wow!

Love it!

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ken Smith Gallery of Ken Smith

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 04/24/16 at 12:43 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Stunning color Vance and the repost looks great.  I love the textures and lines in the rock.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by SandyRichardsBrown on 04/29/16 at 5:55 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/03, 3937 Posts, 12909 Comments

Just gorgeous. Love how the waterfall mimics and accentuates the flowing lines of the rock.
A very well-deserved EP!
Sandy

Sandy Richards-Brown, NPN #0367
Brookings, Oregon (summer/fall) and Sedona, Arizona (winter/spring)   
PNW and RMNP  Regional Member 
NATURE'S MAJESTY IMAGING
http://naturesmajestyimaging.zenfolio.com/

"All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
Each little flower that opens, Each little bird that sings, He made their glowing colors, He made their tiny wings."

- Ce­cil F. Al­ex­an­der, Hymns for Lit­tle Child­ren, 1848, Ireland

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by SandyRichardsBrown Gallery of SandyRichardsBrown

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership