Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Angles (+repost)
Photo posted by Vance Gese in the Landscape gallery on 03/26/16 at 2:34 pm EST
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments
Post last edited by Vance Gese on 03/30/16 at 8:06 pm EST

Made this image in July of 2014 along Cedar Creek which flows into the sea at Ruby Beach of Olympic National Park.   Wanted to emphasize the angles and lines and forms of these sun bleached snags, so the background has been darkened a bit more than usual.  Would appreciate your thoughts, suggestions, comments on this image.  A black and white version is posted below.

4x5, 210mm, no filters, Provia 100F.  Flatbed scan, Tony Kuyper's masks and others used in processing.

Larger, detail image attached as well.

Thanks.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 03/26/16 at 2:36 pm EST    

Black and white version.  Converted to b/w in Photoshop.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 03/26/16 at 5:00 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Very graphic and symmetrical. I think I prefer the color version because the green in the background fir trees help to give more depth and adds a splash of color. The tones on the bleached wood look great. My only nit, albeit a minor one, is the light brown portion of the sunken log. You did a great job handling the processing in this, Vance.

--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Neale Dyster on 03/26/16 at 8:17 pm EST    
Registered on 02/19/08, 94 Posts, 738 Comments

Great reflection shot, I prefer the colour version.

Neale Dyster
Australia

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Neale Dyster Gallery of Neale Dyster

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 03/26/16 at 9:33 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Very cool, Vance. One more vote for the color version. 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Roel Wijtmans on 03/27/16 at 02:12 am EST    
Registered on 09/30/12, 116 Posts, 2257 Comments

Easy choice for me, color version wins because I really like the extra that those greens give. This is a really great find, and the comp is perfect. It shows that you carefully composed so the two wooden structures in the water don't interfere with the reflection of the log. Sweet photo!

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roel Wijtmans Gallery of Roel Wijtmans

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 03/27/16 at 09:18 am EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

I prefer the color version since it has mor depth.  The sunken logs on the right look like sea monsters.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Albert Darmo on 03/27/16 at 9:15 pm EST    
Registered on 11/25/08, 1386 Posts, 11978 Comments

Hi  Vance crying Love the symmetry of the log's and their  reflection. on the water.   nature is a great artist..      i also prefer the color version

Albert Darmo
Canada

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Albert Darmo Gallery of Albert Darmo

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 03/27/16 at 9:19 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Vance,

Graphics, angles and contrast - are three reasons I'll be different and say I'm leaning b&w.  Yes, the greens add something, but for me, the color doesn't contribute anything to the strength of the image.  And if I had a nit with the color version it would be that I see a bit of purple/magenta in the darker midtones  - especially along the shore and reflection.  For me anyway, the high contrast and graphic nature of this is just naturally suited for b&w.  at least that's my story.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 03/28/16 at 09:51 am EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Love the geometry of this image, as well as the reflection.  Excellent composition.  This is the type of image that really draws my attention and admiration because it is well seen as well as well made.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 03/28/16 at 09:53 am EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

I just noticed you posted a B&W version as well.  Most would consider this to be a natural choice for B&W but I prefer the subtlety of the color version.  Just my .02.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 03/28/16 at 11:12 am EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

I like this one. Very intriguing and creative image. Strongly abstract - reminds me of a Rorschach ink blot. This image is well suited and I think I prefer the B&W.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 03/28/16 at 5:25 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Great graphic quality and cool image. I am usually a B&W guy, but I prefer the color. The background blocks up quite a bit. The color differential makes the background more distinct for me. You might be able to tweak the B&W by brightening the green channel to eliminate that issue?

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 03/28/16 at 6:34 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Very cool image.  Both images work very well, but I would agree with Lon about the magenta color cast.  Maybe an adjustment here would make a little more natural.  I prefer the detail in the green trees and reflection of the color version - maybe it would be possible to bring out those details and tones in teh BW version.  The frame has been filled beautifully.  Eye catching.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 03/29/16 at 3:10 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

When I saw the thumbnail, I thought what a perfect b/w subject. Then when I opened the image to find color, I thought that's cool, the greens really do add to the background.  Then I scrolled down and there was the b/w which will always be my favorite.  Beautiful and thoughtful work as always Vance.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 03/30/16 at 8:02 pm EST    
Comment last edited by Vance Gese on 03/30/16 at 8:05 pm EST

Hey, thanks everyone for all the feedback on this image.  Your comments are always extremely helpful.  I seem to favor the color image as well.

Lon and others, thanks for pointing out the magenta color cast in the background rocks.  Have attached a repost with those corrections.
Harley, thanks for the idea on the bw version.  I will try tweeking the green channel.

Thanks again.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Wayne Jones on 03/30/16 at 9:59 pm EST    
Registered on 04/18/07, 953 Posts, 6435 Comments

I like the dominance of the forms in this image, and that facet is enhanced by the bold, high contrast treatment.  To me it has sort of a vintage look.  The black & white version is also visually bold, but seems to be missing some of the detail in the foliage, which appeals to me in the color version.  You did well making sense of this scene.  I was about to say that I would prefer a bit of space on the left side, but I see now that the other logs in the background on the left would probably have detracted from the strenght of the "double arrow" form of the two diagonal logs.

Wayne Jones
Upstate New York

The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the composer; but when the last individual of a race of living beings breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again. William Beebe, 1906

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Wayne Jones Gallery of Wayne Jones

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership