Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

A Dusting
Photo posted by Igor Doncov in the Landscape gallery on 03/17/16 at 8:33 pm EST
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Post last edited by Jim Erhardt on 03/25/16 at 5:46 pm EST

At first it rained, but as I gained in elevation the rain turned to snow. I pulled over somewhere near Mt Shasta onto a dirt road and soon came to the realization that a fire had wiped out all the vegetation in this area, leaving charred remains of trees. It was incredibly cold outside as I fumbled with my iphone. Initially the earth was bare as I looked for compositions with just the trees in the storm. But as the snow started to accumulate the compositions became clearer in my mind. Finally, I got out the DSLR and set it up for the comp I had worked out in my mind. It was too cold (for me) to set up the tripod so I cranked up the ISO and took 2 images hand held. Three weeks later I still can't decide which I like more.

Canon 6D, 24-105mm@32mm, ISO 1000, 1/80 sec, F8.0, hand held

This image reflects how I felt about the place. Despite going through some difficult times the place still showed a lot of dignity and character.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 03/17/16 at 10:47 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

It looks cold! This is an excellent image. Comp works well and I love the monochromatic feel with just a hint of color coming through in the grasses.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 03/18/16 at 06:33 am EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

Love the stark mood. The composition works very well for me.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Wolfenden on 03/18/16 at 09:40 am EST    
Registered on 05/18/07, 1108 Posts, 7647 Comments

Excellent variety of murky tones, and a real feeling of desolation with that twig littered foreground and the bare trees fading into the distance.  A very evocative image !!

Manchester, England

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Wolfenden Gallery of Ian Wolfenden

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/18/16 at 09:42 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

I really like this image, Igor. You really captured a mood here that works so well. Excellent comp too! 

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Jirka on 03/18/16 at 09:50 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 254 Posts, 1620 Comments

This image has a nice range of tones and makes me feel like I am standing there witnessing it.

Jim Jirka
Auburn, Washington
NPN 1052 

All Photos and Comments by Jim Jirka

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 03/18/16 at 10:38 am EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

This is a wonderful capture Igor.  Composition is superb, bringing out the best in what the terrain had to offer.  Better than seeing this, I really feel it.  Great work.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Roel Wijtmans on 03/18/16 at 12:21 pm EST    
Registered on 09/30/12, 116 Posts, 2257 Comments

I don't know how you pulled it off, but this looks so painterly! I even checked if you posted it in the "photo art" gallery to see if you used any effect. This is simply great Igor, no other words for it. The feeling, the strong story captured in this photo, it's all perfect. A winner! It reminds me of the Norwegian painter Kittelsen.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roel Wijtmans Gallery of Roel Wijtmans

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 03/18/16 at 12:32 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Igor,

I must say, I think this is one of your BEST!  This is simply fantastic.  I agree with Roel that this does have a painterly look, but I don't get any impression of any "effects."  It's the subtle quality of light here that is so wonderful. And after that, it's also the color - as subtle as that is; the yellow of the grasses really adds to this.  I'm so glad you didn't go b&w with this.

As much as I love this and am impressed with, I can't withhold my only suggestion.  On the right, there are a few long lines that make me think they're tire tracks; obscured a bit by the snow, so that's good.  I was just thinking that a few strategic pops of the clone/healing brush to break up the length of a couple of the lines to obscure the tracks even more.  But that's just me.  I certainly would NOT crop in from the right.  I like the tree on the far right framing this wonderful scene.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Elizabeth Holbrook on 03/18/16 at 12:40 pm EST    
Registered on 05/06/15, 43 Posts, 221 Comments

Beautiful tones throughout.  Nice capture.

Elizabeth Holbrook
Douglasville,GA
Every day is a new adventure.
I am delighted to participate!

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Elizabeth Holbrook Gallery of Elizabeth Holbrook

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 03/18/16 at 8:34 pm EST    

Well I must've done something right on this one because I've gotten comments from new, to me, people. The problem is that I'm not sure what I did different from before. Don't know how to continue the 'streak'. 

Thank you for the kind words. 

Roel, I looked up Kittelsen and was glad to find out he wasn't the painter that did 'The Scream'. 

Lon, thank you for bringing the tracks to my attention. I didn't see them. The snow probably accentuated them after a while because they weren't evident at the start. These tracks are almost certainly made by fire trucks that tried to put out the forest fire. It should be simple to clone them out to a degree that they are no longer recognizable. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 03/18/16 at 9:31 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Igor- I find the processing and colors superb.The hint of brown through the BW.  What came to mind to me in this image was concentration camp survivors images standing huddled together during those dark days.  A timelessness to it.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Roel Wijtmans on 03/19/16 at 02:35 am EST    
Registered on 09/30/12, 116 Posts, 2257 Comments

Came back to look at it again today, and I like it even more this time. You really hit the jackpot here Igor!

It certainly is frustrating when you take a photo and later on no longer remember how you obtained a certain effect/feeling. But that is also a good thing I think, it means you take pictures guided by feelings and instincts (in other words, the creative way), and not by doing dry calculations and following guidelines. That's when photography probably is at its best!

Kittelsen is a lesser know painter, but I really like him. Loads of atmosphere in his paintings, something you achieved here as well, which is why I made the comparison.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roel Wijtmans Gallery of Roel Wijtmans

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 03/19/16 at 05:48 am EST    

The best advice I could give a friend of mine on how to improve her photography was that good images come from the gut, not the brain. 

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 03/19/16 at 4:41 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Wow, this is outstanding!!!!!! So understated, yet so compelling. It hits hard. I love this!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 03/20/16 at 01:32 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I've been away for awhile, Igor, but wanted to comment on this very special image.  Certainly one of your very best.  Packed with a subtle emotion and just a hint of color.  Excellent in every way.  It conveys a dreary beauty and simplicity that is really hard to do.  I love it.  Congratulation and by all means keep wondering around out there looking for these gems.  

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 03/21/16 at 7:47 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

A classic B&W Igor.  A somber mood bt wonderful composition.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 03/21/16 at 10:14 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

The lack of anything but a subtle hint of color adds a lonely, austere feeling to the scene that works well with the misty background. The comp works well.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 03/27/16 at 6:08 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Exquisite image, Igor.  Incredible mood, one I would characterize as elegant desolation.  Wonderful use of muted colors, and your composition is exquisite.  The beauty you have captured gives hope to this fire-ravaged forest.  Congratulations on the editor's pick.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 03/27/16 at 9:13 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Congrats on the EP Igor!  Well deserved.

devil

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 03/28/16 at 3:25 pm EST    

Well I'll be damned. 

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 03/30/16 at 6:07 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

A very lovely, understated, yet compelling image, Igor.

Congratulations on the EP!

--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership