Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Circa 1580
Photo posted by Vance Gese in the POP Photos gallery on 12/19/15 at 02:12 am EST
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Tried to make a still-life invoking the idea of looking back in time to the late 16th century. The items in the image are all from this period, the box being Welsh and the candlesticks Dutch or English.  Added a layer of texture (actually a scan of the leather cover of an early book) to give the image a grimy look.  This was a bit of an experiment so would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.
4x5, 150mm, Provia 100F.

Large, detail image provided.

Thanks in advance for your ideas and comments.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Cay-Uwe Kulzer on 12/19/15 at 06:53 am EST    
Registered on 01/27/04, 494 Posts, 4021 Comments

Vance,

thanks very much for your nice comments on my photos. I wish I could compose my comments as you do.

I like the idea of this image and the oil painting style you have chossen works fine for me. The moody light of the candles create also the right atmosphere of that time.

All the best, Cay-Uwe
http://www.cay-uwe.de/

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Cay-Uwe Kulzer Gallery of Cay-Uwe Kulzer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 01/05/16 at 6:30 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

I like this a lot, Vance. The light is subtle and the details come across very nicely. When I first looked at this a few days ago, I was on the fence with respect to added texture, but now I find it is growing on me. Nicely done, sir!

--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership