Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

White Mountain Evening
Photo posted by Vance Gese in the Landscape gallery on 04/30/15 at 2:13 pm EST
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

From my days in Alaska, these are the White Mountains located northwest of Fairbanks one evening.  A mix of fog and smoke (from forest fires in the area) gave these hills a mysterious feel.  This is a panoramic crop of a 6x7 transparency scanned with my flatbed scanner and so isn't the greatest with regard to detail.  I thought the pano format worked well with the many ridges and valleys.  Your thoughts, suggestions, ideas, would be appreciated.

6x7, 200mm, Velvia.

Large image included.

Thanks.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 04/30/15 at 5:48 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I am really enjoying the layers, depth and eerie mood created by the smoke. Cool (or warm, as the case may be) image.

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 04/30/15 at 9:21 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Love the subtle layers and the atmosphereic conditions are perfect for this kind of image.  Nothing screaming here, but certainly the whisper says it all.  Very nice, Vance.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by D.A. Edwards on 04/30/15 at 10:56 pm EST    
Registered on 10/08/14, 226 Posts, 1187 Comments

Love the graphic quality of this Vance and there really isn't a need for detail given the subject and lighting. Even the default gray background frame fits perfectly.

D.A. (Dave) Edwards
Sacramento, The Golden State, USA

All Photos and Comments by D.A. Edwards

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 05/01/15 at 12:21 am EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

Mood came to my mind as well Vance. So many of these have blue tones, which are nice, but I like the wamer view here too.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 05/01/15 at 12:53 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Most excellent Vance. I like that these layers are different tones of the same warm hues. And each layer is different. The wide format is right for this composition, as is the choice of color for the frame. Nice job.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 05/01/15 at 04:28 am EST    
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments

gorgeous layers and warmth.  wish it could be even bigger .... lovely graphic image.

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Kuyper on 05/01/15 at 11:58 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 364 Posts, 22328 Comments

I like the effect of the smoke on creating great layering.  It maybe feels a bit soft in overall contrast.  While that is probably accurate for what was there, it seems like there may be more room for this to develop artistically.

Tony Kuyper
Luminosity Masks and other tutorials

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Kuyper Gallery of Tony Kuyper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 05/01/15 at 7:21 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

It's a wonderfully gentle view, Vance.  I love all the layers and how you must look carefully to see everything.  The soft orange in the sky makes this very inviting.  The pano format is perfect and the new 1600 px format really shows it off well.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Roel Wijtmans on 05/02/15 at 12:38 am EST    
Registered on 09/30/12, 116 Posts, 2257 Comments

Mysterious is the right word, Vance! This is excellent, I really enjoy all the layers and the misty atmosphere. Can't think of anything wrong with this one.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roel Wijtmans Gallery of Roel Wijtmans

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 05/02/15 at 05:33 am EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

I like the gentle gradations in colour and tone. Lovely shot.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership