Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Merced Violence
Photo posted by Igor Doncov in the Landscape gallery on 02/22/15 at 1:10 pm EST
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I've recently become interested in photographing moving water in from an impressionistic point of view. These experiments have let me to take images at different shutter speeds and different lighting conditions to see how close I could get to the sense of being in the water that many of the flyfishermen feel when wading the Sierras.

This was shot near El Portal at around 4pm, just as the sunlight left the water. Any suggestions on how to improve this image or subjects like this are appreciated.

Camera Model Canon EOS 6D
Lens EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Focal Length 35.0mm
Av(Aperture Value) 22.0
ISO Speed 400
Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/6 sec
AF Mode Manual focusing

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Philip Hodgkins on 02/22/15 at 8:18 pm EST    
Registered on 07/24/06, 2741 Posts, 12349 Comments

Perfect portrayal of moving water, IMHO! I think I would tone down the highlights on the rock center right.

Phil Hodgkins
Savannah, Georgia
NPN # 1998
Flora Gallery Co-moderator

“The task is...not so much to see what no one has yet seen; but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees.”
― Erwin Schrödinger

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Philip Hodgkins Gallery of Philip Hodgkins

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 02/22/15 at 10:49 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

I think this works nicely as an abstract. This has a lot of energy and the texture of the water reminds me of a painters' brushstrokes.

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Roel Wijtmans on 02/23/15 at 10:48 am EST    
Registered on 09/30/12, 116 Posts, 2257 Comments

For me personally, the intimacy of the image would improve by cropping out the water in the distance in the urc. Other than that, this is very nice. SS is spot on!

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roel Wijtmans Gallery of Roel Wijtmans

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 02/23/15 at 11:16 am EST    

Hmmmm. I like your suggestion, Roel. I think it does simplify the composition and emphasize the swirls better. I would then have to reduce the highlights on the small rock in the urc as well because they would be too close to the frame.

Thanks, for the idea. I will work on it when I get back from work tonight.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by D.A. Edwards on 02/23/15 at 6:06 pm EST    
Registered on 10/08/14, 226 Posts, 1187 Comments

The shutter speed looks perfect to my eye. Agree with Philip about that rock's highlights as that was the first place my eyes went.

D.A. (Dave) Edwards
Sacramento, The Golden State, USA

All Photos and Comments by D.A. Edwards

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 02/24/15 at 12:31 am EST    

Here is the modified image with the suggestions made.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 02/24/15 at 6:26 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

I prefer the original framing. The large rock on the right along with the swirls of water downstream from it add to the dynamic nature. The repost looks cut off to me. So, If you keep the original frame and burn down the highlights on the rock, I think you'll have nailed it.

--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 02/25/15 at 3:01 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Beautiful. You definitely chose the correct shutter speed to capture the mood and lend to the abstract quality.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lucy Aron on 04/16/15 at 10:39 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/11, 189 Posts, 1160 Comments

Roel's suggestion reflects my feeling precisely.  Wonderful capture of motion.  The rocks almost look animated. 

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lucy Aron Gallery of Lucy Aron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership