Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Trees and Fog w/repost
Photo posted by Vance Gese in the Landscape gallery on 11/13/14 at 3:03 pm EST
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments
Post last edited by Vance Gese on 11/14/14 at 11:34 pm EST

Really appreciate the comments on the last image posted. The suggestions were very helpful in improving the image.

Another image made along the coast of Olympic NP this past July. Exposed a couple of sheets of 4x5 film with the idea of blending two scans but that didn't work out so well. So took another stab at a b/w conversion of one of the Provia film scans and that resulted in an image that conveyed more of what I saw back in July. Would appreciate any and all feedback on this.
4x5, 210mm, no filters, Provia 100F. M1 scan, converted to b/w in PS with a b/w layer (thanks again Harley), Tony Kuyper's masks and such.

Large size image a bit better.

Thanks.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Chet Dowell on 11/13/14 at 3:37 pm EST    
Registered on 12/03/12, 237 Posts, 1171 Comments

I like the graphic nature of the foreground as it contrasts nicely with the trees in the distant fog. Well done. Chet

All Photos and Comments by Chet Dowell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Reid on 11/13/14 at 3:49 pm EST    
Registered on 01/27/13, 65 Posts, 2460 Comments

Beautiful glow to the backround fog and really like the silhouetted trees giving this a wonderful graphic feel. Perfect choice for B&W Vance and very nicely done.

Bill Reid
Nanaimo, British Columbia

All Photos and Comments by Bill Reid

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 11/13/14 at 3:50 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Vance, I cloud look at the large version of this all day! Really nice composition and I love the mood this has. This makes a wonderful b&w image and I enjoy the look of that Provia.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/13/14 at 4:23 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Excellent, Vance. I love the mood and the silhouette combined with the fog works beautifully. Sweet image.

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Pat Sampson on 11/13/14 at 5:03 pm EST    
Registered on 05/19/07, 953 Posts, 15989 Comments

I like the composition and the mood of this very much. No suggestions on my part. Really nice conversion.

pat

Patrick Sampson

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Pat Sampson Gallery of Pat Sampson

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Westerbeck on 11/13/14 at 8:24 pm EST    
Registered on 03/21/12, 32 Posts, 111 Comments

The tonality and mood of this is grand, and it works great in black and white. Awesome job!!

Michael Westerbeck
Lynnwood, Washington

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Westerbeck Gallery of Michael Westerbeck

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 11/13/14 at 9:48 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Vance, this image conveys perfectly what i imagine a coastal rainforest feels like. That is not easy to do in a B/W photograph. Beautifully done.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 11/13/14 at 11:41 pm EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

This works really well as a b&w. The fog gives it a bit of mystery. I really like the composition. This is a shot I probably would have passed up. Well seen and photographed.

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 11/14/14 at 03:18 am EST    
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments

super, vance. i'm liking much of these scene - the bowed pattern in the branches, the atmosphere. nice one. why don't you carry a few sheets of b&w film (delta 100 or tmax)? two things catch my eye, somewhat uncomfortably: the black bog in the FG (to the right) and the broken branch to the lower left. i wonder if you can touch up here?

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 11/14/14 at 5:02 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

The left 2/3 works very well for me, but the right not as much. The large bright area draws my eye and brings me to the lower stump, which doesn't seem consistent to the rest of the image. May just bother me a little. The soft light is nice and moody.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ryan Shain on 11/14/14 at 7:40 pm EST    
Registered on 02/20/07, 226 Posts, 4571 Comments

I really like how you gave us this image Vance. I can feel the essence of this forest in this fine capture. The fog and darker trees go great together because of how you saw and captured them.

Beautiful vision and capture

Ryan Shain
Joliet, IL

The universal Mind contains all knowledge. It is the ultimate potential of all things. To it, all things are possible.

Ernest Holmes

All Photos and Comments by Ryan Shain

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 11/14/14 at 11:33 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Thank you everyone for your great comments. Alway appreciate your feedback and suggestions. In the repost, I have attempted to bring some detail to that stump in the lower right, as Stuart suggested, as it does grab the eye. Could probably use a little more. Also decreased the brightness of the fog on the far right, as Harry pointed out, again to keep the eye on the trees. Would appreciate any further feedback.
Thanks again.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Chauvin on 11/18/14 at 08:44 am EST    
Registered on 08/05/04, 1007 Posts, 5595 Comments

The arrangement of trunks gives a sense or order and balance to the composition. The b&w completes the mood of quiet mystery that is very appealing to me.

David Chauvin
South Louisiana
"Thunder don't wet the ground" -unattributed

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Chauvin Gallery of David Chauvin

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership