Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Beachstones V / repost
Photo posted by Vance Gese in the Landscape gallery on 11/08/14 at 8:20 pm EST
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments
Post last edited by Vance Gese on 11/09/14 at 1:43 pm EST

Want to thank everyone for the wonderful comments on the last post. Really appreciate the feedback. Think I'll keep that one.

Made this image in July of this year south of Kalaloch Beach of Olympic NP. Loved the grain and textures in this partly buried driftwood; my first thought was that the form of the wood almost looked like a breaching whale in profile with the stones like huge water drops cascading down. Regardless, the lines and the stones really came together nicely I thought.
Would appreciate any and all suggestions and comments.
4x5, 150mm, Provia 100F. M1 scan, Tony Kuyper's always remarkable masking techiques.

Please take a look at the larger image.

Thanks.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 11/08/14 at 9:02 pm EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

I like the composition and the textures of the wood and stones. I am just wondering about the color. Was everything that blue. I just don't know what to think about the color.

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 11/09/14 at 02:14 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Wonderful study, Vance. Love the detail in the composition and I love the color of the stones. Again, this is more about making sense of chaos and finding something coherent in the randomness that surrounds us. Beautiful work as always.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 11/09/14 at 07:35 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Very artistic, Vance. Well seen and composed. I see Richard's point about it the blue (even the wood has a slight blue cast) but I like the blue tones. Lovely image overall.

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Kuyper on 11/09/14 at 08:47 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 364 Posts, 22328 Comments

Wonderful comp. The elements came together very nicely in your composition. My first reaction was that it seemed a little too blue, but that might be the white background. I notice it less in the larger version.

Tony Kuyper
Luminosity Masks and other tutorials

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Kuyper Gallery of Tony Kuyper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 11/09/14 at 10:32 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Simply love this one, Vance. This intimate close up is excellent for my own personal photographic tastes. The 4x5 provided such super detail it's like being right there. Although Provia pushes towards blue in general, this scene seems about right to me for this deep shadow area. As always, we can adjust to our own liking. I tend to move toward warmer these days even with some of the blue I get out of Velvia. However, again, this scene seems perfect to me as is.

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Reid on 11/09/14 at 11:50 am EST    
Registered on 01/27/13, 65 Posts, 2460 Comments

Incredible detail and tones in the large version Vance and I like how you composed the scene. I agree at first it seemed a bit blue but after looking at it a bit I like it that way. Very nicely done as always.

Bill Reid
Nanaimo, British Columbia

All Photos and Comments by Bill Reid

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 11/09/14 at 1:42 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Thank you very much for the comments everyone. I do agree that the blues come across a bit too strong. Have warmed this up a bit in the repost. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ryan Shain on 11/09/14 at 2:19 pm EST    
Registered on 02/20/07, 226 Posts, 4571 Comments

This is stunning Vance,

You have captured such a beautiful balance between the two pieces of wood and the stones. The detail, texture and color are superbly displayed, and the warmed up version looks great. I prefer the warmer image Vance.

Ryan Shain
Joliet, IL

The universal Mind contains all knowledge. It is the ultimate potential of all things. To it, all things are possible.

Ernest Holmes

All Photos and Comments by Ryan Shain

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Pat Sampson on 11/09/14 at 2:27 pm EST    
Registered on 05/19/07, 953 Posts, 15989 Comments

Superb composition Vance. On my Macbook Pro with retina and Chrome browser the repost looks more natural to me and I prefer it. The detail seems to pop just a touch more. I'd love to have either version on my wall. Well seen.

pat

Patrick Sampson

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Pat Sampson Gallery of Pat Sampson

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 11/09/14 at 4:28 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Vance, the repost is much better. As I stated, I find myself liking warmer side of things even with Velvia....

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/10/14 at 5:54 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Really nice, Vance, especially the repost. Very well done.

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 11/12/14 at 12:09 am EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

I especially like the repost Vance. I am enjoying the array of olive and steel gray pebbles against the drift wood.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 11/12/14 at 9:46 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Vance, I'm a little late here but glad I saw this one now. This looks fantastic to me! I think you did an excellent job with this comp and capturing such a wonderful feel between the stone and wood. I do see and feel the whale in this as well and think that was a wonderful vision on your part. I like the original post but think the warmed up repost works best. Really nice work!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jon Daining on 11/17/14 at 9:02 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/12, 25 Posts, 191 Comments

Gorgeous work as usual! The subdued blue tones are lovely. No nits.

Jon Daining

All Photos and Comments by Jon Daining

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership