Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Before the Green
Photo posted by Vance Gese in the Landscape gallery on 06/09/14 at 10:07 pm EST
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

First, want to thank everyone for your kind words in the NPN discussion forum. Your thoughtful expressions mean so very, very much to me. More than my simple words can ever say. Dang, getting' choked up, again. Onward.

This is an image made in the Matanuska Valley of Alaska a number of years ago, in the early spring prior to the aspens and cottonwoods leafing out. Sort of that transition time between the snow melt and the spring green. Really liked the diagonal of the aspens on the hillside falling down to the cottonwoods in this small valley's bottom. The reds and magentas of the previous years leaves on the bushes in the valley bottom were also quite nice.
4x5, 600mm, Velvia. M1 scan, TK masks and such.

Larger size image is much better.

Always appreciate your thoughts, comments, and ideas. Thanks.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 06/09/14 at 11:21 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments
Comment last edited by gary phillips on 06/09/14 at 11:22 pm EST

First of all, Vance, I liked to say that it is always a visual treat when you post an image. This shot is no exception. I love the composition, the color palette, and the subtle details throughout. Certainly nothing I could suggest to improve it. It is a stunning example of great photographic artwork.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Pat Sampson on 06/09/14 at 11:24 pm EST    
Registered on 05/19/07, 953 Posts, 15989 Comments

Superb comp and presentation Vance. I love the mood of this and the image. No suggestions.

pat

Patrick Sampson

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Pat Sampson Gallery of Pat Sampson

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 06/09/14 at 11:44 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

This is a wonderful tree study, especially before they have leafed out. The shapes and line of the weather-beaten trunks and the slender branches are very appealing to me. The color looks great, and I love the reds in the willows. I also like the spotlight on the cottonwood grove.

It's nice to see an image from you, Vance, since I always enjoy your work. I hope all is well with you.

--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John&Patty Benway on 06/10/14 at 03:44 am EST    
Registered on 05/12/06, 626 Posts, 8700 Comments

Love scenes like this Vance, really like the detail and subtle colors, and of course, you caught some very nice light. Beautiful scene and beautifully presented.
John

John & Patty Benway
Northeast Streams & Forest

Portraits Of Nature
Intimate part of a whole seldom ever seen for itself, only a part of a whole, sometimes, most times chaotic, but still the foundation of its larger part, and for its beauty and purpose should be seen and not overlooked.
J Benway

All Photos and Comments by John&Patty Benway

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 06/10/14 at 03:52 am EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

Loving the tapestry feel to the presentation of the textures and colours here.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 06/10/14 at 05:26 am EST    
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments

masterful composition, vance, has my eye wandering about but ultimately settling on those golden trees. colour is interesting too. all-in-all, nice one!!

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Chet Dowell on 06/10/14 at 08:19 am EST    
Registered on 12/03/12, 237 Posts, 1171 Comments

Beautiful lines and colors, Vance and the textures are exquisite. Very well done. Chet

All Photos and Comments by Chet Dowell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 06/10/14 at 09:44 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Hi Vance, I always enjoy seeing your post. Excellent composition on this and the color, tones and textures are wonderful. I like this a lot and especially enjoy looking at your large version!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 06/10/14 at 09:46 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

I really enjoy the images from most areas of Alaska having been on an engineering crew that traveled the entire state for 2 years. I recall visiting the Matanuska Valley area on my stays in the Anchorage area.

This is a stunning representation of that wonderful area, Vance. Your work with the 4x5 and my favorite film of choice Velvia just enhances this image tremendously. Overall the scan with the M1 and your attention to final post processing adds to the visual pleasure here. Excellent scene.

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 06/10/14 at 11:26 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

I really like the sense of a drawing that all of the bare trees creates here, Vance. All of the subtle color changes are a great addition. This is lovely!

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Joseph Campisi on 06/10/14 at 12:55 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/08, 304 Posts, 3211 Comments

Soft and beautiful Vance. Love those patterns.

Joe Campisi
Federal Way, WA

"It's not what we make, it's what we make possible!"

All Photos and Comments by Joseph Campisi

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 06/10/14 at 1:21 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Excellent image. I like the stark trees and the warm background. I might consider rotating it a bit CCW? It might just be me being off kilter, since I am the only one to suggest it. Not the first time. A 600mm? Nice one to have in the bag! A telephoto? Which one do you have and what camera are you using it on?

I missed your post in the discussion. My condolences on your loss. That is definitely a tough one.

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 06/10/14 at 3:36 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

This is very nice Vance. It must be seen large to be fully appreciated. I love the color variations and texture in the bottom field, and the light is delicious.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Kuyper on 06/10/14 at 8:25 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 364 Posts, 22328 Comments

Really nice comp and colors. I like how it's the foreground trees that provide the scale. I at first thought this was a much tighter comp of grass and brush. It definitely draws me in to look closer.

Tony Kuyper
Luminosity Masks and other tutorials

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Kuyper Gallery of Tony Kuyper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 06/11/14 at 12:51 am EST    
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments

Aye, I like this one Vance. Dead trees are great as long as you can resolve the tiny micro detail and I am sure doing so on a 5x4 sheet of film is not an issue though the web image does look a tiny bit scrunchy at the necessary compression shown (better large of course) I love the red brush but I have to admit the foreground dead trees look a little bit too gold on my screen.

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Reid on 06/11/14 at 11:05 am EST    
Registered on 01/27/13, 65 Posts, 2460 Comments

Wonderful colors, textures and detail in the large version Vance. Another of your wonderful tapestry like images. Excellent.

Bill Reid
Nanaimo, British Columbia

All Photos and Comments by Bill Reid

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 06/11/14 at 1:30 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Love all of the fine detail. Those FG trees really pull me in. Nicely seen.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 06/12/14 at 7:20 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

The fine detail and wonderfully, low key colors makes this work for me. I am sure this must look splendid printed large.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 06/13/14 at 3:05 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Hey, thanks everyone for the great comments. Always appreciate every word.
Preston, thanks for your concern. Trying to fit a little photography into everything else (like most folks).
Harley, the 600mm is the Nikkor 600mm ED, a telephoto design that requires 19inches of bellows draw rather than 23inches. I've been using a monorail 4x5, a well used Sinar C for the last 30 years. Some folks in Alaska thought I was crazy hauling it around like I did, but I like it.
Thanks again, everyone.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership