Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Ruby Beach Morning
Photo posted by Vance Gese in the Landscape gallery on 03/18/14 at 6:23 pm EST
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

A beautiful, albeit cloudless, morning with hardly a whiff of wind greeted me at Ruby Beach on the Olympic Peninsula last July. The morning sun lit up the Sitka Spruce across this pond just back from the surf. Had the whole place to myself for a couple of hours on this morning, which was quite nice. While I would have liked fewer pieces of driftwood in the foreground, the zig-zag pattern of the logs did seem to work fairly well. Used a slightly longer than normal lens so as to emphasize the far trees and their reflection. Would appreciate very much your thoughts and comments of this image.
4x5, 210mm, 2 stop soft GND, warm polarizer, Provia 100F, f45, 2sec. Microtek M1 flatbed scan, Tony Kuyper's masks.

Large size image somewhat better.

Thank you very much for the comments on the last image, and thank you in advance for your suggestions and comments on this one.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Cothran on 03/18/14 at 7:34 pm EST    
Registered on 12/05/12, 31 Posts, 730 Comments

I like the overall composition and processing. The band of sunlight really adds some nice impact.
However, the background trees and ground greenery are less sharp than your foreground. Tilting (either front and/or back) from the front logs to the tips of the trees should have brought everything into good focus. Not to mention using f45.

Michael H. Cothran
Nashville, Tennessee

All Photos and Comments by Michael Cothran

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 03/18/14 at 8:10 pm EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

I like the angles and light in this. I actually really like the logs in the FG; they add lots of depth and angles that accentuate the trees and sunlight.
I am on my tablet, not the big monitor, but the sharpness all looks fine to me. That misty fog adds to it, too.

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 03/18/14 at 9:18 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

I think the mist hurt you a bit, the BG is hazy and the sky color is a bit off for me.
The FG is very nice, sharp, excellent reflection, I would like to see a cropped version of just the FG, cropped at the tree line.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 03/18/14 at 10:02 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Wow Vance, I think this is an amazing photograph . The side lighting is sweet and the foreground driftwood adds to the arrangement of many triangles that compliment the composition . On my monitor everything appears to right on the money. Had to have been a really pleasant morning to work your magic.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 03/19/14 at 12:19 am EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Michael, Genny, Dan, Gary, thank you very much for your comments. Will admit that the colors of the posted image look a bit off from my master file, and the whole image seems to be a little darker than I would have liked. Don't know if the conversion to sRGB was a problem or what.
Michael, thank you for your suggestions. I did use a good degree of tilt of the front standard to place the plane of focus from about midway up the distant trees to the logs in the foreground. I use a Sinar C that I purchased over 30 years ago that now has a P-2 front standard so getting the plane of focus just right works pretty good. I think perhaps the difference in apparent sharpness may be due to my processing as I increased the contrast of the foreground logs a fair amount; that or it may be an issue with my scanner, which doesn't always hold the 4x5 flat. Fortunately, the 4x5 transparency is tack sharp throughout. Again thanks for your comments. Really appreciate all the feedback.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 03/19/14 at 06:56 am EST    
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments

nice one vance. i love the foreground and you controlled what i reckon should have been a challenging exposure very well.

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 03/19/14 at 11:04 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful, Vance. Lovely warm light and I love the bit of mist. The foreground works for me. This turned out really good.

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 03/19/14 at 11:10 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

The lighting here is wonderful, Vance, and your view works very well. The details in the foreground logs are also great. I'm having mixed feelings about the touch of mist at the right edge, with part of me liking the gentle sense of mystery and part thinking that a bit of burning in and contrast enhancement would remove a distraction....The longer I look, the more I like keeping that subtle touch of mystery.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Roane on 03/19/14 at 2:40 pm EST    
Registered on 12/12/08, 213 Posts, 2226 Comments

Pretty sweet image, Vance. I like it. I agree with you about the drift wood - the zig zag pattern makes it work and brings order to the scene. Nice light and reflection!

Doug Roane
NE Florida
www.dougroanephotography.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Roane Gallery of Doug Roane

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Chauvin on 03/20/14 at 06:53 am EST    
Registered on 08/05/04, 1007 Posts, 5595 Comments

The comp works well and the line of warm light in the tree line looks so inviting standing in those cool shadows. For some reason the URH corner seems a bit dark for the conditions but that might be the way it was because of the fog.

David Chauvin
South Louisiana
"Thunder don't wet the ground" -unattributed

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Chauvin Gallery of David Chauvin

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Matthew Goldsmith on 03/20/14 at 11:51 am EST    
Registered on 06/29/10, 37 Posts, 286 Comments

One of my favorite locations. Makes me want to go back. The golden light on the trees is gorgeous.

Matthew Goldsmith
St. Louis, MO USA

All Photos and Comments by Matthew Goldsmith

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Chris Chamberlain on 03/21/14 at 12:07 am EST    
Registered on 03/13/07, 500 Posts, 8365 Comments

A busy, but effective and engaging comp. The band of warm light on the tree trunks is really amazing! Nice!!

Chris

Chris Chamberlain
Vacaville, CA. 95688

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Chris Chamberlain Gallery of Chris Chamberlain

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Navin Sarma on 03/21/14 at 04:22 am EST    
Registered on 07/17/11, 233 Posts, 1373 Comments

Nice, balanced composition Vance. Every inch has a nice amount of interest. I think the subtle light complements the many elements to this photograph well, perhaps a more colorful sunrise would overwhelm.

Navin Sarma
Washington, D.C.

website

All Photos and Comments by Navin Sarma

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Reid on 03/21/14 at 1:18 pm EST    
Registered on 01/27/13, 65 Posts, 2460 Comments

Beautiful light and colors in this Vance and a really nice fore ground also. The mist adds a wonderful back round. Beautiful.

Bill Reid
Nanaimo, British Columbia

All Photos and Comments by Bill Reid

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership