Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Fence
Photo posted by Vance Gese in the Man & Nature gallery on 11/15/13 at 8:38 pm EST
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

A detail of an old fence found in eastern Washington. Really liked the contrast between the warm tones of the pine needles and the grays of the old wood. The bright lichen on the wood was icing on the cake. Would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions on this.
4x5, 150mm, Provia 100F. Flatbed scan, TK masks and such.

Large size image provided as well.

Thanks.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Morris McClung on 11/15/13 at 9:01 pm EST    
Registered on 05/07/07, 670 Posts, 19650 Comments

Your usual excellent comp to show off the elements in your chosen scene. I love the mix of textures and lines, too. Superb detail from the LF as well. Just a great intimate study, Vance.

Morris McClung
Parker, Colorado

Website

"If it is more than 6 feet from the car, it is not photogenic." Edward Weston to Ansel Adams

“He who works with his hands is a laborer.
He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.”

¯ St. Francis of Assisi

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Morris McClung Gallery of Morris McClung

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Daniel & Loana on 11/17/13 at 03:54 am EST    
Registered on 10/07/08, 166 Posts, 3044 Comments

I like your composition a lot. Lines and colours work very well toghether.
D&L

Daniele Vigo & Loana Musso
Genova - Sanremo
Italy
www.passaggiditempo.altervista.org

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Daniel & Loana Gallery of Daniel & Loana

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 11/17/13 at 12:25 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Gorgeous detail especially in the large version Vance. The mix of warmth from the pine needles and cooler tones of the wood play well together. ..... and as you said the lichen is just icing on the cake.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 11/17/13 at 10:12 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

I agree about the warm tones in the needles against the wood and the sprinkling of bright lichen. I like both the wood and the needles, but feel like the 50:50 split isn't working so well. Much as I hate to chop off the lichens on the vertical stick, I think that cropping to move the top of the needles up emphasizes the needles. I also think that some dodging of the needles to the left of the vertical stick also add emphasis to the fallen needles.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Chet Dowell on 11/18/13 at 4:20 pm EST    
Registered on 12/03/12, 237 Posts, 1171 Comments

This is very nice, Vance, especially in the large version. lots of organic textures to enjoy in the pine needles , aging posts and the delightful lichens. the angled post ties it together nicely. Well done. Chet

All Photos and Comments by Chet Dowell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/20/13 at 5:16 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Late to the party, but better late than never. Real nice Vance! Really like the needle and rails stack combo.

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Chauvin on 11/20/13 at 6:24 pm EST    
Registered on 08/05/04, 1007 Posts, 5595 Comments

I love this type of image which looks deceptively simple but is oh so hard to do well. This is beautifully composed and the processing is excellent.

David Chauvin
South Louisiana
"Thunder don't wet the ground" -unattributed

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Chauvin Gallery of David Chauvin

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership