Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Big Sky Barn
Photo posted by Vance Gese in the Man & Nature gallery on 10/19/13 at 12:29 pm EST
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments
Post last edited by Jim Erhardt on 10/23/13 at 4:32 pm EST

A lone barn that I have photographed several times in central Washington, this time in the late afternoon under cotton like clouds. May have pushed the color and contrast on the wheat fields a bit too much. Would appreciate your thoughts on this image.
4x5, 150mm, warm polarizer, Provia 100F. Flat bed scan, TK masks and such.

Large image provided as well.

Thanks.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 10/19/13 at 3:22 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Hi Vance,

This is fantastic! "Big Sky" indeed! Love the clouds, the moving light on the landscape (must be rapeseed or mustard?) and the barn really puts things in perspective. Just a wonderful image.

Hard to say about the contrast. I quite like this as presented, especially and of course, the larger version. Hard to say, but perhaps the contrast is a little much around the band of clouds in the distance, the band along the horizon. Also, it could be sharpening too. Very minor though, but for sure you have a winner to tweak around. Love this!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rob Graham on 10/19/13 at 3:28 pm EST    
Registered on 08/22/06, 842 Posts, 2824 Comments

Great clouds and colors in the ground. I think the contrast is just a bit much, but still a beautiful photo.

Rob Graham
Kansas, USA
Facebook
Website

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Rob Graham Gallery of Rob Graham

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by jack jaeger jr on 10/19/13 at 6:39 pm EST    
Registered on 04/02/12, 26 Posts, 355 Comments

This one is great Vance !

All Photos and Comments by jack jaeger jr

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 10/20/13 at 02:05 am EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Love it as is Vance. Blue and yellow so much compliment each other. The sky is just wonderful.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 10/20/13 at 11:37 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Vance, What a beautiful view. Love the look and feel of this!!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Morris McClung on 10/20/13 at 7:56 pm EST    
Registered on 05/07/07, 670 Posts, 19650 Comments

Big sky country for sure, Vance. The large version shows why this could be compared to any landscape painting of the last 100 years and compete equally. Wonderful detail!

Morris McClung
Parker, Colorado

Website

"If it is more than 6 feet from the car, it is not photogenic." Edward Weston to Ansel Adams

“He who works with his hands is a laborer.
He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.”

¯ St. Francis of Assisi

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Morris McClung Gallery of Morris McClung

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 10/20/13 at 10:24 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Lon, Rob, Jack, Eva, Nick, and Morris, thank you very, very much for the kind words. I fiddled with this image for hours and days and now feel it was all worth it. Thanks.
Lon, I think the field was wheat but I am not certain. With regard to the contrast to the distant band of clouds, I think you're right that It may be due to sharpening. I forgot to mask out the web sharpening of the clouds and sky.
Thanks again everyone.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 10/21/13 at 10:52 am EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Gorgeous Vance. Color/contrast look good to me - no problems at all. Love the clarity.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Reid on 10/21/13 at 5:32 pm EST    
Registered on 01/27/13, 65 Posts, 2460 Comments

Truly big sky country Vance. Lovely colors and just a great sky. I like the contrast and you're composition. Very well done.

Bill Reid
Nanaimo, British Columbia

All Photos and Comments by Bill Reid

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 10/23/13 at 09:30 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Vance, that's a terrific sky, great light on the rolling fields, and the barn really does put things in perspective. The high contrast creates a nicely moody feeling. For me, the blue in the sky feels too dark, especially the top half.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by SandyRichardsBrown on 11/05/13 at 2:36 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/03, 3937 Posts, 12909 Comments

Gorgeous sky and colours here - not over-saturated at all, to me.
Congrats on a fine WP!
Sandy

Sandy Richards-Brown, NPN #0367
Brookings, Oregon (summer/fall) and Sedona, Arizona (winter/spring)   
PNW and RMNP  Regional Member 
NATURE'S MAJESTY IMAGING
http://naturesmajestyimaging.zenfolio.com/

"All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
Each little flower that opens, Each little bird that sings, He made their glowing colors, He made their tiny wings."

- Ce­cil F. Al­ex­an­der, Hymns for Lit­tle Child­ren, 1848, Ireland

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by SandyRichardsBrown Gallery of SandyRichardsBrown

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership