Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Shelf
Photo posted by Vance Gese in the Landscape gallery on 06/24/13 at 8:39 pm EST
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

A rock shelf, encrusted with lichen and topped with grasses and ferns, was found at Chiniak Point of Kodiak Island, Alaska. From a trip my wife and I made to Kodiak Island back in 1995. Would appreciate any comments and suggestions.
4x5, 210mm, warm polarizer, Velvia.

Large size image is a little better.

Thanks

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ben Horne on 06/24/13 at 10:03 pm EST    
Registered on 08/27/09, 51 Posts, 959 Comments

I really enjoy the graphical nature of this image — the texture, shapes, and lines. One of the things that really makes this shot work is the diagonal fracture in the rock, especially when combined with the lichen and the grass. It's the grass in particular that gives the image a lot of dimension and a sense of scale. Many people might have walked past a scene like this and noticed the lichen, but wouldn't have been able to find a composition that works. Well done.

Ben Horne
San Diego, CA
[b]BenHorne.com[/b]
[b][url=http://benhorne.wordpress.com]Adventure Blog[/url][/b] | [b][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/bensdmkII]YouTube Channel[/url][/b]

All Photos and Comments by Ben Horne

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 06/25/13 at 02:02 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Vance,

Great to see a post from you. Ditto to Ben's comments. I love this and often find myself looking for things just like this. The lines and diagonals provide a strong base for the composition and the lichen and grass just light up the rest of the frame. Beautifully captured and processed. This, indeed, will make an awesome print.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 06/25/13 at 02:29 am EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Ben, Lon, thank you for your kind words. Appreciate it.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 06/25/13 at 05:51 am EST    
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments

Hi Vance this looks so familiarly Scottish too. I really like lichen on dark rock and I think what you have selected here is pretty good. I did wonder if the quantity of lichen in the southern hemisphere was a little too dominant and consequently I think I prefer the flecks of gold to be lighter as in the northern section. For that reason I might be tempted to cut off half the mass of lichen from the bottom below the rock shelf but including the grass clumps, it feels just a little better balanced to me that way.

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Joerg Bonner on 06/25/13 at 05:58 am EST    
Registered on 09/05/11, 44 Posts, 221 Comments

love the contrast between the dark rock and the colourful lichen and grasses. beautiful image!!

Joerg Bonner
Vienna, Austria
www.joergbonner.net
   [b]follow me on:[/b]
[url=http://www.facebook.com/joergbonnerphotography]facebook[/url]
[url=https://plus.google.com/103693025209634142841/posts]google+[/url]
[url=http://blog.joergbonner.net]blog.joergbonner.net[/url] (last update jan 15)

All Photos and Comments by Joerg Bonner

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 06/25/13 at 09:09 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Hi Vance, I'm really enjoying looking at your large version here. I too say Ditto to Bens comments! I love what that diagonal line adds to this composition and the grass makes a wonderful mix with the rock textures and lichen. I probably would have stopped and looked at this and not have figured out a good comp so moved on. Nice work on this!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 06/25/13 at 12:01 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Gorgeous look and capture of this "shelf" here, Vance. Love the mixture of colors overall.

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dietrich Gloger on 06/25/13 at 2:06 pm EST    
Registered on 01/26/07, 360 Posts, 9876 Comments

Works great for me. I like the strong base the lichen covered rock at the bottom provides. It's not overpowering the rest, but acnhors the scene pretty well. A lot of interesting features, like the grass, the cracks in the rocks and of course the yellow from the lichen.

Dietrich ("Didl") Gloger, Linz-Vienna, Austria.
Wista DX, 4x5", Provia and Velvia.
Canon EOS 5D,
EF 24-105mm; EF 70-200mm IS; TS-E 45mm;
www.dietrichgloger.at

All Photos and Comments by Dietrich Gloger

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 06/25/13 at 6:58 pm EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

Cool. I like this, for all those reasons mentioned. I look for scenes like this, too, and your take on this is a dandy. I like the comp just as is. There's so much in there, but it doens't just out at you. It's just so calming and refreshing to look at, and the details are great.

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Youssef Ismail on 06/26/13 at 02:32 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 474 Posts, 5555 Comments
Comment last edited by Youssef Ismail on 06/26/13 at 02:35 am EST

I like these types of photos Vance. It gives the eye a lot to look at. I have a rock wall that I have been studying for some time. I think its about time I photographed it. Thanks for the inspiration.

My only thing about this photo is the very dark blacks in the diagonal fracture. I understand its Velvia's fault, but it just makes things feel to hard. Otherwise great!

Sincerely,
Youssef Ismail - Los Gatos, CA
Organic Light Photography
Organic Light Pan - Web Journal
NPN 1234

See the world in a new light ...
...Organic Light!

------
   Follow Me on Twitter
Become a Fan on Facebook
If you contemplate the sublimity of The Sublime then all suspicion will sublimate into certainty about what you are seeing and what you saw and what you will see. The fog of illusion will then vanish and only Reality will remain without any doubt or suspicion.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Youssef Ismail Gallery of Youssef Ismail

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 06/26/13 at 10:41 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Lovely collection of colors, lines, and shapes. Yes, because this is all about detail, the larger view is a must. Terrific job of seeing and composing.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 06/26/13 at 10:51 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Great diagonals of rock and color. Beautifully seen and captured, Vance.

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Morris McClung on 06/26/13 at 12:52 pm EST    
Registered on 05/07/07, 670 Posts, 19650 Comments

Just another wonderful intimate study of Alaska from you, Vance. Fantastic work!

Morris McClung
Parker, Colorado

Website

"If it is more than 6 feet from the car, it is not photogenic." Edward Weston to Ansel Adams

“He who works with his hands is a laborer.
He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.”

― St. Francis of Assisi

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Morris McClung Gallery of Morris McClung

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 06/26/13 at 8:14 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Love the contrasts here Vance. A wonderful splash of color against those gray rocks.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rick Turner on 06/27/13 at 08:49 am EST    
Registered on 02/18/12, 534 Posts, 2755 Comments

The eye movement in the frame is stunning. Well processed

Rick Turner
Dallas

"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships"..
Ansel Adams

Keep on Shooting!
God Bless Texas!!!!!!

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Rick Turner Gallery of Rick Turner

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 06/28/13 at 2:11 pm EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

A wonderful intimate scene to me, Vance, very appealing composition.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership