Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Spinning Wheel
Photo posted by Vance Gese in the POP Photos gallery on 05/09/13 at 01:27 am EST
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments
Post last edited by Vance Gese on 10/13/13 at 10:53 am EST

A still life comprising an early 19th century spinning wheel and an 18th century pipe box complete with period clay pipes. Wanted to create a simple, somewhat moody composition of objects that occupied people's time 200 years ago. Would appreciate your thoughts and comments.
4x5, 150mm, Provia 100F. Flatbed scan, Tony Kuyper's masks and other techniques.

Large size image also attached.

Thanks in advance for your ideas and suggestions.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Clulow on 05/09/13 at 07:46 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/12, 155 Posts, 1079 Comments

This images must be viewed in the larger view to be fully appreciated, in my opinion. It has the look of a classic oil painting. in terms of composition and lighting.

The first thing I find it it is geometric power shapes, shapes that naturally attract the mind; circles (wheel, pipes and decoration atop the clay pipe holder, rectangle, triangles and lines - diagonal (strong) as well as horizontal and vertical for reference.

The visual flow goes from right-to-left, which I always find easier for the mind to assimilate, due to the orientation in the lines of the spinning wheel.

Then beyond the visual elements, what I find interesting is the contrast in time of the image created in the mind of the viewer and the time and technology in which the image was actually created.

So, in a word, I'd say it's absorbing.

I only went out for a walk, and finally decided to stay out till sundown; Going out, I found, was really going in. - John Muir

All Photos and Comments by John Clulow

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bob&Charly Nelson on 05/18/13 at 11:32 am EST    
Registered on 10/27/05, 289 Posts, 4202 Comments

Sweet! I love the light and neutral colors.
Bob

All Photos and Comments by Bob&Charly  Nelson

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 05/19/13 at 01:01 am EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Definitely the larger view is a must see Vance. I especially love the rusty color in combo with the greenish yellow of the spinning wheel.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership