Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Lake Superior Sunrise + repost
Photo posted by Nick Bristol in the Landscape gallery on 10/15/12 at 10:22 pm EST
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments
Post last edited by Nick Bristol on 10/16/12 at 2:46 pm EST

This is another shot of the sunrise I photographed a couple of weeks back now. It was taken at Union Bay on Lake Superior in the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness Area State Park. This is on the western edge of Upper MI. My wife (Cheri) took her vacation so she could go along on this fall trip and we had a great time. Sometimes it is nice not to be alone on the photo trips. We had a great week.
5D3, 18mm Ziess, ISO 100, f/16, reverse grad.
Large version included for a better look. Thanks for looking.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 10/15/12 at 10:34 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Love the light and and reflection in the pools Nick.

BTW - My husband Joe came along with me on my latest Cape Breton photo adventure and we both had a great time without the kids this time (last time was summer 2006). Joe's main comments were how crazy the weather was when we were there..... hail, wind, sideways rain, close to freezing weather, and hypothermia wind chill conditions.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stan Rose on 10/15/12 at 10:53 pm EST    
Registered on 09/15/05, 836 Posts, 17099 Comments

Beautiful, Nick--you caught a great moment here! Id crop the left 1/5 or so, it looks too dark/vignetted and not very important to the shot anyways. That crop would not only use the sun as thirds, it would gain the diagonal to boot

Stan Rose
Pueblo, Colorado
stanroseimages.com
New! Weather Forecasting for Photographers
[url=http://www.stanroseimages.com/product/weather_for_photographers/]EBook[/url]

All Photos and Comments by Stan Rose

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 10/15/12 at 11:02 pm EST    
Comment last edited by Nick Bristol on 10/15/12 at 11:19 pm EST

Thanks Eva and Stan.
Stan, I had not thought of doing that but now I can see how a crop like that would look good. Thanks much! Nick
Also, the version I met to post had lighter shadows on the left side but I posted the wrong versions. Getting late and wasn't thinking I guess.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Matt Anderson on 10/15/12 at 11:16 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 346 Posts, 2696 Comments

Great light Nick!

My Website My Instagram  My Facebook 500px 

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Matt Anderson Gallery of Matt Anderson

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vlad Sadovsky on 10/16/12 at 02:58 am EST    
Registered on 11/12/10, 48 Posts, 358 Comments

Impressive light , like the changing reflections. Subjectively I see how the sky progressing left to right and it works, but lower bottom left is too dark. Cropping works as suggested, but changes diagonals, may be brighten the corner ? Overall enjoyable scene and nice work with light and shadow.

Vlad Sadovsky
"Ars est celare artem" - It is true art to conceal art.

http://www.sadovskyphoto.com
Vlad Sadovsky Photography

All Photos and Comments by Vlad Sadovsky

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John&Patty Benway on 10/16/12 at 07:14 am EST    
Registered on 05/12/06, 626 Posts, 8700 Comments

Very nice light Nick, along with beautiful color and comp. Real pretty scene.
John

John & Patty Benway
Northeast Streams & Forest

Portraits Of Nature
Intimate part of a whole seldom ever seen for itself, only a part of a whole, sometimes, most times chaotic, but still the foundation of its larger part, and for its beauty and purpose should be seen and not overlooked.
J Benway

All Photos and Comments by John&Patty Benway

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 10/16/12 at 09:50 am EST    

Thanks much for your thoughts and suggestions on this one so far. Here is the version with lighter shadows on the left side. This is also the one I met to post in the first place as I mentioned above. Hopefully it looks a little better. Thanks, Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 10/16/12 at 10:13 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Looks like a wonderfully peaceful morning, Nick. I really like the long diagonal of the foreground rock leading to the heart of the sunrise glow and it's reflection. The repost is a nice improvement on the dark left side, particularly the rocks.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nancy Lea Sandy on 10/16/12 at 1:24 pm EST    
Registered on 01/24/11, 576 Posts, 6942 Comments

Beautiful sky and the rocks leading into the water create a nice peaceful scene.

All Photos and Comments by Nancy Lea Sandy

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 10/16/12 at 2:10 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Nick,

Great color in the sky. To be honest though, the rock arrangement just doesn't engage me all that much - although the diagonals are strong. In fact, I like Stan's about a crop from the left that helps showcase the diagonals and I think would make a stronger image. I'm also wishing there was some reflected color in the lower pools. But I guess we can't have everything.

I might even go so far as to suggest a 1/4 crop to almost square - I'm beginning to like it more thinking about it.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 10/16/12 at 2:45 pm EST    

Again, thanks for all your thoughts!
Here is a crop version as Stan was thinking (or close) and also what Lon thought might work well. I can see this working too so if you have any thoughts I would enjoy hearing them. Thanks! Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 10/16/12 at 2:48 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Works much better for me Nick. A stronger comp. Thanks for taking the time to repost and consider the suggestions.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 10/16/12 at 3:20 pm EST    

Thanks Lon! Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tom Haxby on 10/16/12 at 4:51 pm EST    
Registered on 07/06/06, 126 Posts, 647 Comments

Nick: Really well done. I like the cropped version too, but too I like the detail in the rocks in the large version.

All Photos and Comments by Tom Haxby

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 10/17/12 at 10:45 am EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

I think you nailed it with the repost, Nick. I love the diagonals of the rock formations along with that fantastic sky.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 10/17/12 at 4:35 pm EST    

Thanks for the comments Tom and Ed. Glad you guys liked it. Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Catherine Reilly on 10/17/12 at 6:03 pm EST    
Registered on 08/16/06, 603 Posts, 9192 Comments

Evocative image, Nick. I like the way you use the gnd.

Solitude on photo trips is good. Good company is great! Glad to hear you had such a nice time together.

Catherine Reilly
Seattle, WA
Ad lucem quam inhabitas--
To the light wherein Thou doest dwell

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Catherine Reilly Gallery of Catherine Reilly

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 10/18/12 at 08:05 am EST    

Thank you Catherine! I shoot so much of the time alone...it was very nice having Cheri along. She tries to make the fall shoot every year if she can and we both look forward to it. Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership