Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Rock and a hard place +rp
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 06/30/12 at 4:17 pm EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments
Post last edited by Lon Overacker on 06/30/12 at 6:14 pm EST

or for lack of a better title...

Thanks for your thoughts and comments on my previous post. This one differs in the sense that it's pretty straight forward. No crops to consider, no special vision or seeing, just a straight image of granite and water.

I've posted the color version for the larger view, but I think I'm leaning to the b&w version. Not quite satisfied with the colors yet. What say you? All comments welcomed and appreciated.

BTW, this is very similar to Harley's version that he posted a few weeks back. There were four of us focusing on this granite wall below the Royal Arch in Yosemite back in May.

4x5, 300mm, V100F, f/22 @10s, PL

Thanks!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jeremy Cram on 06/30/12 at 4:25 pm EST    
Registered on 06/04/06, 204 Posts, 818 Comments

I really like this. It has a great metallic feel to it, so I think the b&w was a perfect choice. The comp is very nice and if I had to make a suggestion, it was be to punch the blacks and whites just a smidge. Too much and you lose that metallic feeling that I like, but I do feel it might improve it.

Jeremy Cram
Vancouver WA

All Photos and Comments by Jeremy Cram

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Youssef Ismail on 06/30/12 at 5:23 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 474 Posts, 5555 Comments

I like the B&W version better. But after that, this photo is not resonating with me. It feels to cramped or that the wrong perspective was taken

Sincerely,
Youssef Ismail - Los Gatos, CA
Organic Light Photography
Organic Light Pan - Web Journal
NPN 1234

See the world in a new light ...
...Organic Light!

------
   Follow Me on Twitter
Become a Fan on Facebook
If you contemplate the sublimity of The Sublime then all suspicion will sublimate into certainty about what you are seeing and what you saw and what you will see. The fog of illusion will then vanish and only Reality will remain without any doubt or suspicion.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Youssef Ismail Gallery of Youssef Ismail

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nancy Lea Sandy on 06/30/12 at 5:32 pm EST    
Registered on 01/24/11, 576 Posts, 6942 Comments

I like the b&w better but, given a choice, I almost always prefer it over color. The water has a nice flow to it and holds my attention well. It's definitely the stronger element for me. (Strangely) the rocks seem a little too subordinate. I like the comp though.

All Photos and Comments by Nancy Lea Sandy

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 06/30/12 at 6:13 pm EST    

Thanks Nick. Here's a re-worked version. A little higher contrast and tried to set the white pt a little brighter too. also, a narrower crop. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks Youssef. I kinda have an uneasy feeling about this one too. Probably more about the metalic sheen Nick referred to and less about composition and emotional appeal or impact.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 06/30/12 at 6:24 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments
Comment last edited by Nick Bristol on 06/30/12 at 6:25 pm EST

Lon, I like this alot, and especially the b/w. I think it is a wonderful image. The detail and textures are fantastic! A close call for me but I do like the crop and overall look of the repost best! The bit tighter crop seems to work well and I like the brighter looking water. Very nice!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 06/30/12 at 6:28 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

This one surprised me. I thought BW for sure, but when I opened the large version I really like how subtle the color is. I'd have to vote for that one. I love the comp and how you caught the water.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nathan Apodaca on 06/30/12 at 6:39 pm EST    
Registered on 11/16/11, 67 Posts, 1127 Comments

Very nice image, Lon! The re-post is great, and I love the B+W. Wonder what dodging/brightening the very background water might do for this? The crop is also good, removing a few distracting dark spots...

All Photos and Comments by Nathan Apodaca

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Danny Laureys on 06/30/12 at 8:32 pm EST    
Registered on 01/05/08, 590 Posts, 1261 Comments

Really like the repost a lot, I was also surprised at the color in the larger version.

Danny Laureys
Beaverton,Oregon

"Once destroyed, nature's beauty cannot be repurchased at any price." Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Danny Laureys Gallery of Danny Laureys

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Kuyper on 06/30/12 at 9:13 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 364 Posts, 22328 Comments

Definitely the second one. The tighter comp works better. Puts the emphasis a little more on the water and livens of the scene. The right side was a bit monotonous in the original, or maybe just too eye-drawing. It feels like I'm actually seeing a bigger scene in the cropped version as I'm enjoying the other elements more.

Tony Kuyper
Luminosity Masks and other tutorials

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Kuyper Gallery of Tony Kuyper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 06/30/12 at 10:13 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

The B&W repost works best for me Lon. The metallic, silvery sheen and tighter comp are very fine and down right stunning.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rob Graham on 06/30/12 at 10:51 pm EST    
Registered on 08/22/06, 842 Posts, 2824 Comments

Very nice, Lon. The repost is much better, IMO. The narrower crop makes it feel longer. The B/W works well, but I do like the soft colors in the color image.

Rob Graham
Kansas, USA
Facebook
Website

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Rob Graham Gallery of Rob Graham

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 06/30/12 at 11:41 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

WOW, the reworked image is stunning, Lon. Although I always lean towards the color version(s) in most cases, the higher contrast along with the crop of the B&W version really makes for a very nice image.

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nicolaus Wegner on 06/30/12 at 11:43 pm EST    
Registered on 02/21/10, 133 Posts, 1509 Comments

Of all of them I like the repost the best. The metallic feel in the rocks works better I suppose.

All Photos and Comments by Nicolaus Wegner

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Joseph Campisi on 07/01/12 at 03:22 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/08, 304 Posts, 3211 Comments

The crop works best for me Lon, and I love the metallic quality of this. The color version is nice as well, but I think the B&W version really showcases the shapes and textures here.

Joe Campisi
Federal Way, WA

"It's not what we make, it's what we make possible!"

All Photos and Comments by Joseph Campisi

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 07/01/12 at 04:53 am EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Lon, your composition is straight, elegant and convincing to me.

I am prone to prefer the color version because of its almost monochromatic character. I would not want to miss the subtle color shades, they just make the difference for me in this image. Regarding the crop, the stronger asymmetry in the first version has a lot of tension for me, and the fluvial traces at the right balance the falls nicely in my opinion.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Gasior on 07/01/12 at 2:18 pm EST    
Registered on 03/07/10, 99 Posts, 502 Comments

Beautiful
B/W works best. Good eye nice composition

All Photos and Comments by Paul Gasior

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 07/01/12 at 7:28 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

While I thoroughly enjoy the textural quality and tonal beauty of the b/w, the color version for me nails it. The variation in tones in the color version are really wonderful as is the 'wetness' of the rock that you have achieved. And you still have that amazing texture in the rock as well. Beautifully done, Lon.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vlad Sadovsky on 07/01/12 at 8:11 pm EST    
Registered on 11/12/10, 48 Posts, 358 Comments

Cropped version works better in my eye , Lon - the original felt unbalanced with too much rock texture. Subjectively i would like a bit of rock on the left as well to show complementary textures.

For me B&W vs color was close contest, but in the end subtlety of greens in color won out. Just a wonderful feel.

Vlad Sadovsky
"Ars est celare artem" - It is true art to conceal art.

http://www.sadovskyphoto.com
Vlad Sadovsky Photography

All Photos and Comments by Vlad Sadovsky

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 07/01/12 at 8:52 pm EST    

Thank you everyone for your comments, observations and suggestions. Ya know, the diversity of comments and preferences really just confirms how we're all different, we all see and react different to images and scenes before us. I'm still on the fence with this one which is why I struggle in working on this one. If you don't have an idea of what you like about an image, it's that much more difficult to know what to work on. I think I'll just leave it alone for a while.

thanks again!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 07/01/12 at 9:37 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

I just want to touch this one! Very tactile feel to it. The added contrast to the repost does make it pop!

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Edwards on 07/03/12 at 02:57 am EST    
Registered on 12/06/08, 142 Posts, 2623 Comments

Another beauty Lon. I like the reworked repost with the crop and extra contrast.

David Edwards
Radiant Sky Photo
Brisbane, Australia

All Photos and Comments by David Edwards

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Alister Benn on 07/03/12 at 07:29 am EST    
Registered on 06/09/11, 23 Posts, 258 Comments

Sweet Lon.... I love the Zen-like feel to it... I have some thinking to do :-)

Alister Benn
Available Light Images
China Tours
[url=http://harvestinglight.net]Night Photography eBook[/url]

All Photos and Comments by Alister Benn

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Morris McClung on 07/04/12 at 4:34 pm EST    
Registered on 05/07/07, 670 Posts, 19650 Comments

Man, am I digging those tones! Excellent silver tones always get me. Mostly because I can't find a way to bring them out.

Morris McClung
Parker, Colorado

Website

"If it is more than 6 feet from the car, it is not photogenic." Edward Weston to Ansel Adams

“He who works with his hands is a laborer.
He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.”

¯ St. Francis of Assisi

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Morris McClung Gallery of Morris McClung

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 07/04/12 at 4:44 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

The repost of the B&W addressed the concerns, imo. I prefer the color version over the B&W and would opt for a slight RH crop for it also.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Cliff Dodge on 07/04/12 at 6:01 pm EST    
Registered on 03/25/06, 125 Posts, 507 Comments

The second one and the colored one.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Cliff Dodge Gallery of Cliff Dodge

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Catherine Reilly on 07/04/12 at 6:52 pm EST    
Registered on 08/16/06, 603 Posts, 9192 Comments

I think the color version gives it more dimension and character, Lon. This is so expressive of how water will find its own way through the cracks and crevices of rock faces. It has a tranquil feels to it.

Catherine Reilly
Seattle, WA
Ad lucem quam inhabitas--
To the light wherein Thou doest dwell

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Catherine Reilly Gallery of Catherine Reilly

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 07/04/12 at 8:43 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

This turned out excellent Lon. Good job on the repost, too.

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 07/05/12 at 11:36 am EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Thought the original was just fine, but I do like the repost even better. Love the texture and sheen on the wall, and excellent composition.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Gary McGhee on 07/05/12 at 2:51 pm EST    
Registered on 04/15/10, 142 Posts, 2416 Comments

I prefer the comp in the first shot Lon but the contrast in the second. Either way they are both great. The detail in the larger upload is excellent.

Cheers, Gary.

Gary McGhee,
Wirral,
UK.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Gary McGhee Gallery of Gary McGhee

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Oleg Kuchorenko on 07/22/12 at 3:02 pm EST    
Registered on 07/02/12, 9 Posts, 111 Comments

Nice !! looks very stylish and is strictly! beautiful comp, in b/w colors looks perfect !

All Photos and Comments by Oleg Kuchorenko

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership