|NPN Posting Guidelines|
Select a Topic;
- Important Copyright Information
- Rules of Conduct - Helps us maintain our friendly, constructive atmosphere!
- How To Post Photos - The mechanics of how to post a photo in the NPN galleries and forums.
- The NPN Photo Critique Galleries - Post your photo in the appropriate gallery!
- Photo Posting Guidelines - How to prepare a photo for posting, information to be included, etc.
- Photo Posting Tips - Advice on how to get the most out of photo critique!
- Commercial Galleries - Instructions for use of our commercial galleries.
- Important Notice - Acceptable use of the NPN forums and galleries.
Attention photographers! Advice on protecting your work.
2 - Rules of Conduct
NPN is strictly dedicated to the art and technique of nature photography and all conversation should pertain directly to it. While on-topic spirited debate is welcome, please keep all conversation congenial, professional and non-judgemental of other's abilities and integrity. Discussion of religion, politics/political activism or any other controversial subject that has little or nothing to do with ther art and technique of nature photography is subject to deletion without notice. We suggest that you review the basic rules of Netiquette for additional information on effectively communicating with others over the Internet. If you have any issues or concerns with any aspect of forum activity, please contact the forum moderator(s) using their email contacts at the top of the forum page. You may also contact NPN administration directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We strongly recommend that all nature photographers review the Nature Photographers Code of Conduct and make it a practice to observe the suggested guidelines when in the field.
The NPN site includes photo critique galleries where members can post their photos for constructive feedback. The primary purpose of these galleries is to provide a venue for members to (1) improve their own photography through constructive feedback and (2) help others improve their work by offering constructive critique.
Though there are no strict guidelines to the photo critique process, there are a few recommended practices that can help make the process as constructive as possible. Please adhere to the recommendations presented in the following articles;
Additional information on the NPN photo critique galleries is found in the The NPN Photo Critique Galleries section below.
In our efforts to keep the NPN website free of excess commercialism, please use the following guidelines;
- You may include one text link in your forum signature to a page on your website that offers your products and/or services. The forum signature fields are not intended to serve as a comprehensive listing of all of your products/services!
- You may use the "Purchase Print" feature when uploading a photo without reservation and assign these photos to your Personal Gallery if you wish.
- You may list your workshops, photo tours and photographic exhibitions in the Workshops/Tours/Exhibitions forum. Photos may be posted in those listings to illustrate the product/service. All listings persist for 45 days, one listing per week maximum.
- You may list your photography products and services in the Commercial Galleries (more information on these galleries below).
- All other unauthorized commercial advertisement is subject to deletion!
Role of Moderators
The primary role of moderators is to oversee forum activity to ensure smooth operation. They enforce the NPN Posting Guidelines and answer member questions on the use of the forums. Though they often post comments on member photos, they are not required to provide expert critique on every photo posted.
We invite you to post your comments on photos! Even if you do not feel "qualified" to critique an image, telling the photographer what it is that you like (or dislike) about an image in your own words is helpful and an important part of the image critique process! Learn more about The Art of Image Critique.
We recommend that you contact other image critique gallery participants using their email link to request comments on your photos.
NPN Staff Suggestion - For every photo you post, comment on at least five!
3 - How to Post Photos
Photos can be posted by linking to a photo on another website or by uploading a photo direct from your computer's hard drive to the NPN server. To link to a photo on another website (such as a personal website or hosting service), enter the URL of the photo (not the page) in the "Enter URL address of .jpg photo" field on the Post a Photo screen.
Maximum file size for uploaded photos is 1600 pixels/1MB (sRGB JPEG) for all galleries and forums. Photos are presented in three sizes;
- Thumbnail (Galleries only) - 170 pixels longest side, automatically generated from Standard or Large files.
- Standard - for files up to 500kb and 720 pixels on the longest side. Use the "Upload .jpg file" browse/upload function.
- Large - for files larger than Standard and up to 1MB and 1600 pixels on the longest side (photo opens in new "View Larger Photo" window). This option automatically generates the Thumbnail and Standard size photos from a single large file. Use the "Upload an optional Larger Photo" browse/upload function. Option - you may prepare a Standard size file and upload it with your Large file
Additonal information in the Photo Posting Guidelines section below.
Need help preparing your files? Read our instructional article How To Prepare Your Images For The NPN Forums Using Photoshop Elements by Darwin Wiggett
4 - The NPN Photo Critique Galleries
There are 9 "main" photo critique galleries to choose from. Please review the following gallery theme descriptions and place your photo in the single, most appropriate gallery;
All photos posted in the following nine NPN image critique galleries are automatically deleted after 35 days.
- Avian Gallery - All images with birds as the main subject. Images of birds baited with seed, other non-live bait or recordings must be disclosed as such. Photos of captive birds taken at commercial game farms or photos taken using live bait are prohibited. Photos taken of captive birds at zoos and wildlife rehabilitation centers may be posted in the POP Gallery - please disclose the name of the facility where the photo was taken, as well as any other information that would be of value to those interested in wildlife conservation and education.
- Flora Gallery - Plants and flowers. Staged, set-up, or studio shots must be stated as such.
- Landscape Gallery - Landscapes, seascapes and celestial images with no recognizable "hand of man."
- Macro/Close-up Gallery - Macro and close-up images of nature. Generally, the actual physical size of the area depicted by the image should be about 4-inches across or less. Staged, set-up, or studio shots must be stated as such.
- Man & Fauna - A gallery intended for photos of animals that live under the care of humans (pets, domesticated animals, animals confined to zoos, games parks, etc.)
- Man & Nature Gallery - Landscapes, seascapes, or rural scenes that contain evidence of hand-of-man (HOM) such as a path, crops, domesticated animals, etc. Environmental photojournalism images may be posted in this gallery.
- People, Objects & Places - Open gallery for subjects that do not fit in any of the other galleries. G-rated only!
- Photo Art Gallery - Digitally manipulated or multiple exposure images that are intended as obvious artistic renditions of nature.
- Weekly Challenge Gallery - Weekly, theme-based photos. Regardless of theme, all photos must conform with the gallery guidelines the photo would normally be posted in.
- Wildlife Gallery - Wildlife other than birds. Photos of captive wildlife taken at commercial game farms or photos taken using bait of any kind (including the use of recorded sound) are prohibited. Images that include domesticated animals in a rural scene should be posted in the Man & Nature Gallery. Photos taken of captive wildlife at zoos and wildlife rehabilitation centers may be posted in the Man & Fauna Gallery - please disclose the name of the facility where the photo was taken, as well as any other information that would be of value to those interested in wildlife conservation and education.
Note - You may post the same photo in one of the main NPN galleries and in a single Regional Group Gallery concurrently. Only photos posted in the main NPN IC galleries are eligible for the Weekly Picks recognition.
NPN Special Galleries and Showcases
All photos posted in the following galleries persist (not auto-deleted);
- GOTM - Gallery of the Month recognition.
- Weekly Picks - Photos selected as a weekly pick.
- Staff Showcase - NPN staff member showcase.
- Editors Pick Awards (EPA) - Photos awarded the yearly Editors Pick Award.
- Nature Appreciation Day (NAD) - A special member-only gallery.
- Ten Years of NPN - A special member-only gallery.
- NPN Photographers - A special member-only gallery.
Regional Group Galleries
Regional group galleries are intended for the posting of photos from the specific regional area covered by the group. Photos posted in the regional group galleries are automatically deleted after 35 days and are not eligible for the Weekly Picks recognition. You may post the same photo in a regional group gallery and a main gallery at the same time.
When uploading a new photo or when using the edit function on a photo you have already uploaded, you may assign the photo to your Personal Gallery. By checking the personal gallery box on the upload or edit screen, the photo will be exluded from the 35 day auto-deletion utility. Photos in your Personal Gallery can be accessed via (1) the gallery icon that accompanies your IC gallery posts and (2) the My Photos link in the green bar near the top of the page.
Your Personal Gallery will contain the following photos;
- All photos that you have posted in all galleries that are less than 35 days old
- All photos that have been posted to any of the special galleries listed above
- All photos that you have assigned to your Personal Gallery
You may have a total of 250 photos in your Personal Gallery/My Photos at any one time. Those you have assigned via the personal gallery feature may be removed by using the edit function and unchecking the box. The photo will then be deleted during the next run of auto-delete utility (once every 24 hours).
5 - Photo Posting Guidelines
- The person posting the image must hold the copyrights to the image. The posting of pirated material is strictly prohibited!
- Whenever possible, identify the subject using either the common name (ie, white-tailed deer) and optionally, the scientific name (Odocoileus virginianus).
- Select the single most appropriate gallery for your image. Do not post the same image in multiple galleries.
- We recommend that a descriptive title be used - whenever possible, include the common name of the species that is the subject of the photo.
- If the image is from a game park, zoo or any other controlled (non-wild) situation, you must post the photo in the Man & Fauna Gallery!
- If the image has been digitally altered beyond simple adjustments to color, contrast and sharpening, etc., please state so in your post!
- Image size must be limited to 1600 pixels on its longest side including any borders or "frames" applied to the photo.
- Maximum file size for images hosted by NPN is 1 MB, sRGB JPEG files recommended.
- The posting limit is one image every 24 hours per gallery.
- You may post photos in replies as per the following strictly enforced guidelines;
If you wish to rework a fellow member's photo, here is the procedure we suggest;
- The posting of any other photo as part of a critique or comment is prohibited
- A member may repost their original photo, with adjustments per viewer comments, in a reply in their own thread
- Any member may post a non-photo illustration or photo editing software screenshot (JPEGs only) as part of their critique
- All photos must comply with the sizing guidelines listed above
- Photos may be posted in replies without regard to the 48 hour limit
- NPN administration and gallery/forum moderators reserve the right to delete any reply that includes a photo (Note - NPN regional group forums set their own guidelines for the posting of photos in replies)
- Contact the member who posted the photo and ask them to email the photo to you. This will absolutely prove that the member voluntarily sent the photo to you, and that it was not copied without their permission.
- After you have reworked the photo, email it back to member who posted it with detailed notes on what you did to adjust the photo. They will then have the right to determine if they want the modified photo appearing as a repost.
- Do not delete a photo after comments have been posted. Please contact us at email@example.com for authorization to delete a thread.
6 - Photo Posting Tips
The process of photo critique is a two-way street. It all starts with you, the person posting the photo.
In order to get the most out of this process, providing information about your photo is crucial. For every photo you post, consider including the following information;
- Tell us what the image is about, what it means to you, and what motivated you to make it.
- Equipment information. By telling us what kind of equipment was used we will have a better feel for what we can suggest. Try to include information about the camera and lens used, if a speedlight (flash) and/or tripod was used or any filters.
- Camera settings, including shutter speed, aperture setting and exposure compensation can also be useful to those offering their comments.
- Tell us where was the photo was taken. If it is a photo of a captive animal (zoo, game farm, etc.), be sure to include that information.
- Last but not least, be sure to ask for any specific feedback that you wish to receive on your photo!
A good example of how to post (and critique) a photo can be found here.
Additional reading - The Art of Image Critique.
7 - Commercial Galleries
The NPN commercial galleries are a free service to all NPN members, intended to help you market your nature photography products and services to the general public.
You may upload as many listings as you wish, but only one listing per product/service. You may add, edit and delete listings as you see fit.
Currently available commercial listing galleries;
- Apps (iPhone apps.)
- DVDs (slide shows, instructional, etc.)
- Maps & Guides (nature photography destinations)
- Photo Services (scanning, printing, framing, video, etc.). Please list instructional workshops and tours in the Workshops, Tours & Exhibitions forum.
- Photoshop® (tutorials, actions, instruction, etc. specific to Adobe Photoshop®).
Please feel free to suggest a new listing gallery!
To post a new listing;
- Using the Shop drop-down menu in the navigation bar at the top of the page, go to the commercial gallery you would like to post your listing in, selecting the single gallery that your product or service best fits. Do not post the same product or service in multiple galleries. If there are no galleries that your listing fits, please feel free to suggest a new listing gallery!
- Enter a title for your product or service (75 characters maximum).
- Enter a description for your product or service (800 characters maximum). Please describe your product or service as accurately and fairly as possible to avoid any misunderstandings with your customers.
- Enter optional key words to enhance the search results (50 characters maximum).
- Enter the full URL where the product or service can be purchased on your website.
- Upload a photo of your product, or a photo to represent your service; 250 pixels maximum on the longest side, 200 kb maximum file size in sRGB format.
- Upload optional composite photo; 1200 pixels/500kb maximum, sRGB. This feature can be used to show pages in an e-book, calendar pages, etc.
Tips and Suggestions
- Your name will appear with the listing exactly as you have it entered on your Preferences screen (First and Last Name field). You may edit this field on your Preferences screen at any time to make corrections.
- Describe your product or service in these listings and on your website fairly and accurately, providing as much detail as possible. Do not misrepresent your product or service!
- Make the purchasing process on your website as user-friendly as possible.
- Though NPN takes no responsibilities for these listings, we reserve the right to delete listings based on negative feedback from customers. Always do your best to communicate with the customer and fulfill orders on a timely basis. Treat your customers fairly and with respect!
We wish you success in using these listings!
8 - Important Notice
These forums and galleries are intended solely for the promotion of the art and technique of nature photography. The use of these forums for any other purpose is strictly forbidden. The NPN administration reserves the right to edit, delete or close any thread, post or commercial lisiting deemed inappropriate and/or outside the intended scope of this site.
All images appearing in these galleries are the property of the respective photographers. All images are protected by U.S. copyright laws and are not to be downloaded or reproduced in any way without the written permission of the photographer.